COLCHESTER United's under-23s were victorious in their Professional Development League match against Bristol City.

They won 2-1 on Monday afternoon, thanks to two goals from Eoin McKeown and one from Cameron James.

The U’s recorded only their second league win of the season with a victory against the Robins at a very windy and cold Florence Park.

There were early casualties for both sides as David Agboola and Sam Bell both needed treatment after just a minute.

However, they resumed after some treatment.

The first team to show on eight minutes were the home side as Louis Dunne found McKeown down the left but his ball across was behind both Noah Chilvers and Todd Miller, who were waiting in the centre.

It was City who had the next best chance as, after a short home corner was cleared, the away side broke and Bell was found, but keeper Ethan Ross got down to his right to make the save.

Another chance fell to them on 26 minutes after the referee failed to spot a shirt pull on Chilvers, which then saw the City skipper feed on for Bell.

However, keeper Ross tipped his effort over the bar.

Bristol then went close again as Max Williams from the right fed Tom Richards on his left but he curled his shot over the bar.

However, shortly before half-time, Colchester took the lead as Ollie Kensdale got the ball forward to Louis Dunne.

He helped the ball towards James, who outmuscled his opponent before moving on towards the right edge of the box.

He fired a shot across goal into the far corner of the net.

A minute later and McKeown was fouled by Tom Harrison.

With no real advantage gained, the referee brought the play back for a home free-kick, which Dunne took.

However, City keeper Jo Jo Woolacott saved well, low down to his left by the post.

Half-time arrived with the U’s 1-0 ahead.

It was a lead which did not last long after the break.

This saw a ball in from the left go over the head of Chris Forino and it was Ricardo Rees, lurking behind him, who sent his header into the home net to make it 1-1.

The U’s then hit back again to lead just before the hour-mark as Louis Dunne played in Todd Miller down the left.

He burst away and into the box and although his effort was well saved, McKeown then knocked the ball goalwards which City defender Wright, in trying to clear, could only hit into the roof of his own net.

The home team then made it 3-1 as after a throw in on the right, a pass down the right found McKeown, who cleverly lifted his shot over the keeper’s head and into the net.

Again, City's attempts to hook the ball clear were in vain.

Sam Warde, on as a sub, saw his left-footed effort saved before the away team got a goal back as David Agboola conceded a soft free-kick.

From the delivery in, a back post header by Harvey Smith was sent back across goal and inside the far post.

The visitors pressed for a late equaliser and it needed James to head clear from his goalmouth and a final whistle signalled three valuable points for the U’s.

Team: Ethan Ross, David Agboola, Chris Forino, Ollie Kensdale, Al-Amin Kazeem, Ryan Clampin, Todd Miller, Noah Chilvers, Cameron James, Louis Dunne and Eoin McKeown with used subs: Ryan Gondoh, Dean Ager and Sam Warde and unused subs: Callum Coulter and Ken Charles.