IPSWICH Town’s dismal season plumbed new depths after limping to a 2-0 defeat at home to Queens Park Rangers.

The Blues are now bottom of the Championship table – leapfrogged by Hull City, who drew 1-1 at home to Preston North End.

And there can be no denying this was another extremely poor, confidence-sapped and uninspiring performance that suggests a long, hard struggle ahead.

Town had brief spells of possession but, once again, as has been their problem all season, they were devoid of quality in both boxes.

At the back, they were nervy and anxious and up front they offered precious little.

The fact their only serious chance was miscued and bundled horribly wide just about summed up the afternoon.

The defeat was a crushing blow for Town, who were desperate to build on the elation and relief of their opening victory under Paul Hurst – a 3-2 success at Swansea City.

However, in truth, there was very little evidence that they were capable of back-to-back wins.

There were signs of things to come when the Hoops – only five places and five points better off than their hosts and therefore ‘beatable’ opposition – nosed ahead in the 13th minute.

Luke Freeman delivered an inswinging corner but keeper Dean Gerken, crowded out in a packed six-yard box, failed to make contact with his punch. Instead, the ball sailed into the net.

Town looked forlorn and in addition to a couple more heart-in-mouth moments at the back, they were only able to mount once noteworthy attempt at the other end.

It came after Trevoh Chalobah drove into space down the right and squared for Grant Ward.

However, despite having time and space to pull the trigger, he failed to make proper contact and scuffed his feeble effort wide.

Town were made to pay on the stroke of half-time after failing to clear another Freeman corner.

The ball broke to Eberechi Eze, just outside the six-yard box, and the striker was clearly tripped by Toto Nsiala.

Tomer Hemed coolly slotted home from the spot, sending Gerken the wrong way, to deliver a hammer-blow in the closing seconds of the first half.

Amazingly, it was nearly three right at the start of the second period.

Eze nipped in ahead of Luke Chambers, effectively taking the ball off the skipper’s head, and suddenly found himself in a one-on-one position.

However, Gerken stood his ground and made a vital save.

As it was, Town toiled throughout an otherwise uneventful and frustrating second half.

The ironic cheers that greeted a Ward header on target – easily gathered by keeper Joe Lumley – were another indication of where this side is at the moment.

Boss Hurst, already under severe pressure, now finds himself under even greater scrutiny – hardly the best preparation for a very tough fixture at title-contenders Leeds United on Wednesday evening.