Ipswich Town boss Paul Hurst rued costly mistakes as his players suffered another defeat that left them still waiting for their first win under him as manager.

The Blues, who are now rock bottom of the Championship, were beaten 2-0 by Hull City at the KCOM Stadium as goals at either end of the game heaped further misery on Hurst’s side.

It took three minutes for Hull tor gain the ascendancy in front of their own supporters when Jarrod Bowen chipped the ball into the net beyond goalkeeper Dean Gerken.

And substitute Jackson Irvine wrapped up only Hull’s second league win of the campaign in the 89th minute.

The defeat and results elsewhere meant Hurst’s side were left propping up the second tier following a dismal day in East Yorkshire.

Hurst told PA: “We didn’t start the game well enough, not just the goal but overall.

“We gave Hull a shot of confidence that we spoke about not doing.

“Both goals are very avoidable; I’m not saying we would have got that equaliser but the second goal killed it altogether.

“They were terrible decisions on our part and overall we have been punished again for our mistakes.

“If you keep making mistakes, the higher up you go, they are going to take them and it makes the task more difficult.

“We had chances but we didn’t take them, and it’s making life difficult.”

Hull boss Nigel Adkins hailed his side’s display as they earned a first home league win of the Championship season.

Adkins was delighted with his team’s performance and a victory which lifted them to 17th.

“Three points, a clean sheet, first home win of the season, dogged performance - well done to the players and well done to the supporters,” said Adkins.

“The last home game we played some really good football.

“This was different; we started off really well getting the goal through Jarrod Bowen and then for me, it was stop-start in the second half.

“We get into half-time 1-0 up, the goalkeeper has made two really good saves from Jarrod Bowen, and it was that dogged performance from us.

“Towards the end, the second goal we’ve gone and scored was really good play, Jackson Irvine has showed fantastic desire and tenacity to outmuscle the defender and go for it.”

The Tigers led in the opening stages when Fraizer Campbell threaded Bowen through on goal, as the winger coolly dinked over Gerken with centre-back Matthew Pennington unable to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

The Tractor Boys’ attempts to find a route back into the contest were limited, with Jordan Graham curling wide and Jon Nolan driving over late in the first half, while Stephen Kingsley was on hand to thwart Gwion Edwards’ volley.

In the second half Hull upped the tempo, with Bowen lively throughout, but he was thwarted twice in the half by Gerken.

Ipswich tried to pick themselves up and find an equaliser, though the closest they came was when Graham could only shoot straight into the grasp of City’s Scottish goalkeeper David Marshall.

Hull, searching to kill the game off, went close as Gerken stopped Bowen with his foot before bravely denying him again in a one-on-one situation.

But the Suffolk outfit’s misery was compounded in the 89th minute when Australian Irvine drilled low beyond the despairing dive of Gerken to wrap up a big win.