BRANTHAM ATHLETIC gave another signal of intent as their flying start to the season continued with a comfortable FA Cup victory at WIVENHOE TOWN.

The Imps have already defeated Kirkley and Pakefield and neighbours Hadleigh United in Thurlow Nunn League action and they made it a hat-trick of wins with a 5-0 success at the GMP Plant Hire Stadium.

Dan Rowe, Louie Newland, Jack Madley, Elliott Johnson and Danny Bloomfield were on target in the extra preliminary round tie – one of 184 up and down the country this weekend - as Brantham eased through and pocketed a cool £2,250.

They now host Welwyn Garden City on August 25.

Wivenhoe, in contrast, had the consolation of putting £750 into the club coffers. Last year losing sides at this stage did not receive anything.

After having the bulk of possession, Brantham deserved their two-goal advantage at the break.

Their opener came when Madley burst clear down the left, travelled close to the by-line and delivered a low centre that was turned in at the near post by Rowe.

Newland then swept home the second from outside the box with a first-time drive from Craig Hughes’ delivery.

It was a sublime, accurate finish but Hughes also deserves praise for showing skill and persistence to evade three Wivenhoe tackles.

Hughes was also the architect of Brantham’s third, whipping in a corner that was headed home by the unmarked Madley.


Johnson added the fourth with a close-range finish from Terry Rymer’s cross and substitute Danny Bloomfield put the cherry on the cake, after a half-cleared corner was crossed back in and headed on in the Dragons area.

Both sides hit the woodwork either side of the fourth goal.

Wivenhoe were denied a consolation when Dide Showemimo struck the right-hand post and Aaron Donaldson screwed the loose ball wide.

Bloomfield then clattered the bar with a long-range effort just before his goal.

Overall, it was another great result for Matt Carmichael and Michael Brothers’ side, who were also involved in two goal-laden FA Cup ties this time last year – sweeping past eventual Thurlow Nunn League runners-up Felixstowe and Walton 7-2 before crashing out 5-3 at home to Cheshunt.

They will be hoping for more goals and another positive result at the next stage.

Elsewhere, FC CLACTON were involved in an exciting tie at Kirkley.

Tom Austin’s Seasiders came from two-down thanks to goals from Karl Andrade and Matt Eve.

It finished 2-2 and the sides will now meet again in a replay at the Rush Green Bowl on Tuesday.

STANWAY ROVERS are through to the preliminary round after a 3-1 success at home to Tower Hamlets.

Meanwhile, there was a busy programme of Thurlow Nunn League division one south fixtures and HOLLAND FC continued their strong start with a 5-0 thrashing of Newbury Forest.

Billy Wales, Lewis Blanchett, Joe Martin, Keelan Sorrell and Steve Eaton were their scorers at the W&S Scaffolding Community Stadium.

Kane Gilbert's double steered HALSTEAD TOWN to a 2-0 victory at home to Benfleet while BRAINTREE TOWN RESERVES won by the same score against Fire United.

Jordan Heath and Michael Hammond were on target for HARWICH AND PARKESTON but the Shrimpers conceded late goals and lost 4-2 at May and Baker.

BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT RESERVES drew 0-0 at home to Wormley Rovers.

Goals from Billy Coe, George Smith, Sean Radley and Sam Cripps guided COGGESHALL UNITED to a 4-3 victory at Frenford, in the Essex Senior Cup, but LITTLE OAKLEY bowed out after losing 2-0 at home to Lopes Tavares.