Clive Platt celebrates one of his two goals at Carrow Road, on one of the most remarkable days in Colchester United’s history.

Platt’s brace, along with Kevin Lisbie’s double and David Fox’s strike, sent U’s fans into dreamland after they raced into an astonishing 5-0 lead within 38 minutes in their 2009-10 League One curtain-raiser at much-fancied Norwich City.

And although Cody McDonald pulled a goal back for the shell-shocked Canaries with 18 minutes left, strikes from David Perkins and Scott Vernon sealed Paul Lambert’s side an unforgettable 7-1 triumph in Norfolk, a result that sent shockwaves throughout the whole of English football.

It remains to this day Colchester’s biggest-ever league away win and for the U’s contingent in the crowd of 25,217, it was the most surreal of experiences.

“It’s the best I’ve seen in years,” enthused Colchester boss Paul Lambert afterwards. “I thought we were sensational. Winning 7-1 was a phenomenal performance. I wasn’t going to come here and sit back. Our performance was absolutely unbelievable.”

The U’s, embarking on their second season back in the third tier following their relegation from the Championship in 2008, went into the game as big underdogs against a Norwich side hotly-tipped for promotion at the first time of asking.

But the Canaries supporters were already heading for the exits by the time Lisbie had added a fifth goal for the U’s, seven minutes before the break.

Colchester went on to extend their advantage before the end and at one point, it all got too much for two Norwich fans who ran onto the pitch and threw their season tickets at home manager Bryan Gunn, before being ejected.

The U’s joy was pretty short-lived, though. Their huge win ultimately led to Lambert quitting as their manager ten days later – to take over at Norwich.

Lambert returned to the Community Stadium later that season as Canaries boss and led his side to an emphatic 5-0 triumph over Aidy Boothroyd’s U’s side, in torrential conditions.

Norwich finished the season as League One champions while Colchester ended up in eighth spot, eight points off the play-off places. Lisbie finished up as the U’s leading scorer, with 13 goals.