MICHAEL Brothers scored twice as BRANTHAM ATHLETIC came from behind to sink Thetford Town 4-2 and lift the League Challenge Cup.

Craig Hughes and Sean Bartlett were also on target as the jubilant Imps capped their season with silverware, having previously cemented a fifth-place finish in the Thurlow Nunn League.

It was a fitting finale after a topsy-turvy contest played in sweltering conditions at Diss Town’s Brewers Green Lane.

Brantham had eliminated Halstead Town, Cornard United, Wivenhoe Town, champions Coggeshall Town and Wroxham on route to the final, while Thetford’s passage included a semi-final success against Stanway Rovers.

But it was the former who had the bit between their teeth in the early stages, breaking the deadlock after two minutes.

Brothers delivered a perfect corner and when Jack Sibbons’ bullet header was blocked, Hughes pounced to turn home from close range.

Sam Newson nearly added a second – poking home before having his celebrations cut short by an offside flag – but Thetford turned the game on its head with two goals in 11 minutes.

Elliot Smith sent an unstoppable header past keeper Callum Robinson and then Max Melanson bent a sublime free-kick into the top left-hand corner, from 20 yards.

Brantham reacted positively and it was soon all-square thanks to Brothers.

The player/joint-manager cut inside after a short corner and drilled a thunderous, low effort inside the near post.

Better then followed when Sam Newson advanced into the area, on the left, and squared to Bartlett, who tucked a low effort past keeper Will Viner.

The Imps had the ascendancy and gave themselves a cushion on the hour-mark, thanks to Brothers.

Chasing a long ball forward, he steadied himself before burying a low effort through defender Matt Morton’s legs and beyond Viner.

It was the final act of a thrilling contest as Brantham secured a famous victory – their first major cup silverware since 1984.

Elsewhere, FC CLACTON and STANWAY ROVERS brought the curtain down on their respective Thurlow Nunn League campaigns with a north Essex derby at the Rush Green Bowl.

And it was Rovers who signed off on a winning note, courtesy of a 2-0 success.

James Crissell scored goals in each half.

In division one, LITTLE OAKLEY finished their maiden season at step six with a 5-1 victory at Norwich United Reserves.

Mark Palmer gave them a dream start, spectacularly scoring from the halfway line, and added a second before the hosts pulled one back.

Oakley then made the points safe thanks to late goals from Stephen Polley, Ross Brazitis and Rory Harmon.

HALSTEAD TOWN lost 2-1 at Debenham LC.

Karl Andrade’s penalty gave them a half-time lead but the hosts scored twice after the break.

BRAINTREE TOWN RESERVES drew 3-3 at home to Cornard United.