Colchester United closed to within four points of the League Two play-off positions after winning 2-1 at Forest Green Rovers this afternoon.

The U's made it three straight league wins for the first time since December, 2016 after claiming victory in their first-ever visit to the New Lawn.

Colchester head coach John McGreal was forced to make two changes to his starting line-up.

Tom Lapslie and Brennan Dickenson both missed out after picking up injuries against Luton Town, on Good Friday.

Brandon Comley, who played the majority of the game against the Hatters, was recalled along with Courtney Senior, who scored on his U’s debut against Forest Green, last August.

Experienced midfielder Doug Loft was on the bench, along with young QPR loanee Olamide Shodipo.

Colchester made a dream start when they took the lead after just 19 seconds.

After Sammie Szmodics had escaped down the left, his cross was helped on by Mikael Mandron for Drey Wright to sweep the ball home at the far post.

It was the fourth fastest goal in the U’s history and they looked like following it up with further strikes, after that.

Midway through the first half, leading scorer Szmodics hooked a shot just over after a well-worked move led to Wright crossing into the area and almost repaying the compliment for his early goal.

And moments later, Mandron closed down a Haydn Hollis clearance midway inside the Forest Green half before advancing and drilling a low shot just wide.

Forest Green gradually found a way back into the contest after that and just before the half hour, they almost equalised when Tahvon Campbell was unable to control header at the far post after Reuben Reid had flicked on Gavin Gunning ball into the area.

And the hosts were back on level terms, eight minutes before the break.

After Tom Eastman had clumsily fouled fellow defender Hollis in the area, Reid stepped up to score from the spot and make it 1-1.

Having been the better side for much of the first half, it was a blow for Colchester and boss McGreal will have been happy to have got his side in at the break to regroup.

It did the trick, as Colchester went ahead again within 90 seconds of the restart.

After Mandron had done well to set him up, Stevenson unleashed a fine low right-shot into the net.

The hosts looked for a way back into the game and Dayle Grubb's goalbound shot was blocked by Wright.

Grubb’s free-kick into the area was nodded wide by Gunning but Colchester still looked threatening and midway through the second half, Dan Wishert was forced to off the line from Wright’s low shot after good play by Mandron and Szmodics.

Eastman headed over for the visitors soon after and although U's keeper Sam Walker was forced to pushed away an effort late on, the visitors held out for the win.