COLCHESTER Hockey Club ran out winners in their double header against Newmarket in East Women's League division one north.

They won both of their games against their Suffolk opponents, beating them 5-1 on the Saturday and 2-1 the following day.

Braces for Helen Scott and player of the match Sophie Bendon along with Libby Knifton's strike earned Colchester a comprehensive win, in the first match.

Colchester boasted a full squad for the game and played some outstanding hockey, passing the ball well and keeping Newmarket at bay.

Coach Knifton said: "It was some of the best hockey we have played all season.

"The attackers of Helen Scott, Sophie Bendon, Libby Knifton and Ciara Williams pressed the ball and worked really hard.

"The midfielder players - Kate Bagley, Karen Harris, Pippa Garbutt and Jemma Rix interacted with some lovely passing and the defenders of Ellie Benfield Liz Pope, Frankie Harley, Katie Irwin and Livvy Jack marked and tackled really well."

The following day, Colchester ladies travelled to play Newmarket determined to take another three points.

Colchester started well, enjoying plenty of possession and creating some well-worked chances.

Newmarket frustrated the visitors initially and caught the visitors on the break midway through the first half, scoring with a great deflected shot.

It meant Colchester trailed at half-time but they were far more positive with some really good hounding and hustling from the front by Sophie Benson. Benson was involved in their equaliser by winning the ball back for Colchester, high up the pitch.

Garbutt picked up the ball from Bendon and made a brilliant dart into the box, where she hit a great reverse hit across the face of the goal which deflected off a defender and in.

Colchester continued to keep a high press on the Newmarket defence hoping force some errors, with Harris and Knifton at the forefront.

It was through this that Colchester scored their winner.

Knifton picked the ball on the edge of the D and took it past two players before hitting a great shot across the goal, where Hannah Finbow-Jeffery was waiting to deflect the shot in to the goal.

Colchester continued to keep a high press and a solid defence at the back.

Pope organised the defence and kept a calm head when Newmarket caught Colchester on the break.

However, Colchester had great game management and kept the ball well and frustrated Newmarket until the final whistle.

Keeper Lucy Stuchfield made some good saves for Colchester, for whom Harris and Knifton earned the joint player of the match award.