COLCHESTER Indoor Bowls Club enjoyed both success and failure in their home friendly against Jacks, played over six rinks.

Although the visitors triumphed on four of the rinks, Colchester won the overall shot count by 106-99.

On rink one, skip Andy Smith guided his team Brenda Southby, Mike Cranfield and Jackie Jones to a narrow 18-13 victory.

With 15 of the 21 ends decided by a single shot, it was probably four shots on the 16th end when the score was 10-10 that swung the game in the home team's favour.

Skip David Jones, playing with Olive Hawkins, Pat Wilson and Trevor Carpenter, lost 19-18 on rink two.

Colchester held the lead for most of the early ends but went behind on the tenth.

They regained the advantage on the 15th but conceded five shots on the 18th, leaving them trailing 17-14.

Winning the final three ends 4-2 was not enough for them to win the game.

On rink three, Colchester skip Lorraine Daden and team Shirley Harrup, Malcolm Wilkinson and Lyn Dubro only managed to win six of the 21 ends. Although Jacks were successful on 15 ends, they won an end by more than a single shot on only one occasion.

Four shots to Jacks on 19th resulted in a score of 18-10. which slightly flattered the visitors.

It was on rink four that Colchester sealed their overall shot count win.

Skip Chas Barratt, playing with Daphne Sheraring, Avis Warren and Joan Evans, won all but five of the 21 ends and posted a final score of 30-9.

While ten of the ends won were by a single shot, the card did include two fives and two threes, helping to bulk up home team score.

On rink five, the visitors triumphed over Colchester skip David Nicholls, playing with Ruby Wilkinson, Beryl Nicholls and Barry Shearing.

The home team drew blanks over the first six ends and trailed 7-0.

The fightback began on the seventh and the scores were level 9-9, after 13 ends.

The visitors then scored a four on the next end tipping the game, which ended 17-14 in their favour.

On rink six, skip Eric Dubro, playing with Pat Gray, Malcolm Byford and Eddie Southby, suffered nine blank ends in the first 11 and found themselves trailing 19-5 as a result.

Despite winning all but two of the final ten ends, they failed to match the scoring frenzy of their opponents over the early ends and the final score was 23-16.