COGGESHALL TOWN showed they mean business at the top of the Thurlow Nunn League with a magnificent 2-1 victory at Stowmarket Town.

They moved to within two points of the Suffolk side, who remain second in the premier division, after grabbing a late winner at Greens Meadow.

The Seedgrowers also have five games in hand on both Stowmarket and runaway leaders Felixstowe and Walton.

Stowmarket's defeat was their first at home in the league for more than 18 months.

They also went into the match on the back of a nine-game winning run and Saturday's top-of-the-table showdown was watched by a crowd of 337.

The sides appeared to be heading for a share of the spoils when prolific striker Josh Mayhew cancelled out Luke Wilson’s early header for Stow.

However, eight minutes from time, former Stowmarket captain Danny Cunningham’s free-kick took a deflection and flashed into the net to secure Coggeshall’s victory.

Elsewhere, there was an excellent 2-1 win for FC CLACTON at home to high-flying Newmarket Town.

The Seasiders have now lost once in a dozen league matches and, with 30 points on the board, they are just one short of their final tally for the whole of last season.

Jake Plane was their two-goal hero, first finishing well to put the cap on a sweeping left-wing move.

The Jockeys were level by the break after a low corner found its way into the net and Clacton were reduced to ten men following a red card for Charlie Thompson.

However, man-of-the-match Plane grabbed his side's winner with a cracking finish into the bottom left-hand corner.

BRANTHAM ATHLETIC suffered a 2-1 defeat at Ely City.

Joint-manager Michael Brothers scored the Imps' consolation, half-volleying into the top corner from 20 yards.

WIVENHOE TOWN'S losing run continued with a 4-0 setback at home to Walsham-le-Willows.

STANWAY ROVERS had been in Friday night action and lost 3-1 at Long Melford.

Romario Dunne scored their consolation but it proved too little, too late.

It was an excellent day for Essex sides in division one, with victories for HALSTEAD TOWN, HOLLAND FC, LITTLE OAKLEY AND BRAINTREE TOWN RESERVES.

Halstead got their first league victory in eight attempts - the games in between included six draws - when they ran out comfortable 5-2 winners against Wisbech St Mary.

Jake Brown, Jamie Baker, Joe Morris, Kane Gilbert and Lewis Cunliffe scored the Humbugs' goals.

Oakley recorded back-to-back league victories for the first time this season by winning 3-1 at March Town United.

Jamie Beecham scored twice and he was joined on the scoresheet by Ryan Smart.

Braintree's reserves won 4-3 at King's Lynn Reserves thanks to goals from Lewis Stantiall (two), Alfie Cleal and Mark Dallinger.

Holland ended their losing run by emerging 2-1 winners at Norwich United Reserves.