Colchester United maintained their 100 per cent pre-season record with a 2-0 victory over a West Ham United XI tonight.

Drey Wright and Denny Johnstone both netted against the Hammers, as John McGreal’s side made it four friendly wins out of four without conceding a goal, this summer.

Johnstone, Craig Slater and Frankie Kent all made a welcome return to the Weston Homes Community Stadium pitch following their respective injury lay-offs last season.

But U’s fans were denied a first glimpse of Ryan Jackson in action for their team because of a quad injury, while fellow summer signings Cole Kpekawa and Rene Gilmartin were also missing.

Kurtis Guthrie and Luke Prosser are still recovering from their respective ankle and knee injuries and also sat out the contest along with Doug Loft, with a sore calf.

Colchester took on a young West Ham XI, with the club’s first-team squad currently in Austria as part of their preparations for the forthcoming Premier League season.

The U’s made the perfect start when they went ahead in the fifth minute.

After captain Tom Lapslie’s pass had split the West Ham defence, Wright controlled before advancing into the area and prodding the ball past keeper Rihards Matrevics.

The U’s almost doubled their lead in spectacular fashion in the 18th minute through Sean Murray, whose long-range strike from nearly 40 yards clattered the underside of the crossbar before bouncing to safety.

Grady Diangana should have equalised for the Hammers midway through the first half when he missed his kick from five yards, following Dan Kemp’s delivery.

But Colchester missed a golden opportunity of their own a minute later when Johnstone blasted a first-time shot over from five yards, after Matrevics had only parried Kane Vincent-Young’s cross.

Jahmal Hector-Ingram nodded wide from Vashon Neufville’s cross for West Ham on the half hour but Colchester led at the break.

The Hammers’ penalty shouts fell on deaf ears just after half-time when Hector-Ingram tumbled under Tom Eastman’s challenge in the area, while keeper Sam Walker did well to hold onto Neufville’s goalbound strike at his near post.

But Colchester went 2-0 up just after the hour when Johnstone nodded home Slater’s superb free-kick into the six-yard box, for his third goal in as many games.

West Ham squandered a golden chance to pull a goal back with 19 minutes remaining when Alex Pike blasted horribly wide from the spot, after Walker had brought down Jaanai Gordon in the area.

Colchester made seven changes after that and were able to maintain their clean sheet and secure another friendly win.

COLCHESTER UNITED XI: Walker, Kinsella (sub Edge, 72), James, Kent, Eastman (sub Wynter, 53), Vincent-Young (sub Brown, 72), Lapslie (sub O’Sullivan, 72), Murray (sub Diaz Wright, 72), Slater (sub Dunne, 72), Wright (sub Szmodics, 72), Johnstone (sub Issa, 72).

Substitute (not used): Barnes.

West Ham United XI: Matrevics, Pike, Neufville (sub Hannam, 58), Coventry, Akinola (sub Wells, 69), Alese (sub Ngakia, 84), Kemp (sub Powell, 46), Rey (sub Belic, 69), Kristofferson (sub Scully, 58), Hector-Ingram, Diangana (sub Gordon, 58).

Substitutes (not used): Henry, Rosa, Longelo.

Goals: Colchester United: Wright 5, Johnstone 62.

Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex).

Attendance: 2,626.