FIRST half goals from Simon Cox and David Mooney meant Southend United ended their pre-season campaign with a 2-0 win against Colchester United at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Cox put the Shrimpers in front from the penalty spot before Mooney also netted against his former side.

But Blues’ victory against their local rivals was marred by an injury to Jermaine McGlashan who had to be substituted after just 17 minutes.

Southend boss Phil Brown will now be sweating on the fitness of his summer signing.

However, he would have been buoyed by his side’s bright start which saw Mooney’s having a shot deflected wide of the left post by former Blues centre-back Luke Prosser after just two minutes.

Moments later, Will Atkinson headed over a right wing cross from Jason Demetriou before Colchester hit back with Drey Wright sending a well struck, 30 yard shot over the crossbar.

In reply, Blues’ striker Mooney sent a long range effort straight at Sam Walker before the hosts opened the scoring in the 13th minute, with Cox on target from the penalty spot.

The spot-kick was awarded when McGlashan was upended in the box by Lewis Kinsella enabling Cox to cooly stroke the resulting penalty into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

However, winning the penalty proved to be McGlashan’s last involvement in the game as he soon went off injured and was replaced by Luke O’Neill on the right flank.

After the enforced alteration, Blues remained on top and came close to doubling their lead when a misdirected punch from Walker was cleared off the goal-line by Prosser.

But the Shrimpers did not have to wait long until making it 2-0 as – with 24 minutes on the clock – Cox rolled a pass into the path of Mooney who netted with a low right footed finish from 12 yards.

Moments later, Atkinson’s left footed shot was smothered by Walker at the second attempt before Stephen McLaughlin headed over Luke O’Neill’s right wing cross over the crossbar in the opening action of the second half.

With, play soon switching back to the other end of the field, Doug Loft then had a low 20 yard shot gathered by Blues goalkeeper Ted Smith.

But, with 66 minutes on the clock, the Shrimpers replied with Mooney having a powerful effort well saved by Walker.

Following that, the game was disrupted by a number of substitutions which saw Jakub Sokolik, Renei Batlokwa and Jack Bridge enter the action for the Shrimpers.

However, it was Colchester who came closest to scoring in the closing stages when Kurtis Guthrie saw his low shot parried to safety by Smith.

Southend United: Smith, Demetriou, Thompson, Barrett (Sokolik 83), Coker, McGlashan (O’Neill (17), Leonard, Atkinson (Bridge 87), McLaughlin (Batlokwa 83), Cox, Mooney