Dean Campbell hit a hat-trick as Colchester got back to winning ways with an impressive 6-3 win over Southend, in East Men's League division two south.

But their victory at the Garrison was soured by a nasty head injury sustained by Stephen Nunn, which required 16 stitches.

Nunn was struck on the head by an opponent’s stick as he attempted to stop Southend from scoring, resulting in him sustaining a nasty gash.

He was taken to Colchester General Hospital where he received stitches for the wound and is now likely to be out for several weeks.

Skipper Campbell said: “Stephen copped a stick to his head as he saved a goal from going in against us.

“It was a brave challenge and he was our honorary player of the match.”

Colchester fell behind to a penalty corner flick but Campbell, playing in a forward position, equalised with a cracking strike.

After Ben Parker crossed the ball knee height into his path, Campbell skilfully deflected the pass into the corner of the goal.

Campbell struck again from a penalty corner to make it 2-1, following some good play by Richard Sexton in a planned move.

And Sexton made it 3-1 soon after, showing good reactions to score after his first effort had been saved by the Southend keeper.

Colchester extended their lead further when Parker added a fine fourth goal.

And although Southend pulled a goal back before half-time, Colchester went in at the break in control.

However, the visitors started the second half well and scored two quick goals to make it 4-3 and get themselves back into the contest.

But Colchester regained control almost immediately when Campbell completed his hat-trick at the far post from Parker’s pass.

And the hosts rounded off victory through Sexton, who scored a drag flick from a penalty corner to score his second of the game.

Campbell added: “It was a good result for us and it was very pleasing to win.”

Colchester’s men’s second team won 3-2 at Upminster III in division four, thanks to goals from Tom Wilde, Tony Elston and Will Avery.

The thirds played out a 2-2 draw at Waltham Forest III in division five but Colchester’s fourth team were beaten 4-3 against Saffron Walden’s sixth team, in division seven.

Goals from Rob Askam, Chris Gadeke and Henry Speck gave them a 3-1 lead but Saffron Walden fought back in the second half to win.