Freddie Sears scored a superb late winner as Colchester United came from behind to beat Chesterfield 2-1 at the Weston Homes Community Stadium and record back-to-back home wins for the first time in more than two years.

Sears bagged his eighth goal of the season with a wonderful shot from the edge of the D from Gavin Massey's pass to score with four minutes to go and complete another great comeback for the U's.

Colchester have now taken seven points from a possible nine in their last three games, having come from behind in all of them to rescue points.

But Tony Humes' side got off to a disastrous start and found themselves a goal down after a barely a minute, in controversial circumstances.

Frankie Kent was caught square in the face by a powerful strike just outside the area, leaving the U’s teenage defender lying prostrate and apparently concussed on the ground.

However, referee Darren Sheldrake allowed play to continue and Chesterfield duly capitalised, with Sam Clucas advancing towards goal before firing emphatically past goalkeeper Sam Walker.

The Surrey official received plenty of stick from the U’s fans, who felt he should have stopped the game with Kent having suffered a head injury.

After four minutes of treatment Kent was stretchered off and replaced by captain Magnus Okuonghae, although happily the U’s academy product had reappeared on the bench before the first half was out.

The double setback seemed to affect Colchester, who struggled to find any tempo in the first half.

Chesterfield's Ollie Banks headed wide from ten yards from an unmarked position and U’s keeper Sam Walker did well to stop Clucas’s low shot from the edge of the area, as Chesterfield went in search of a second goal.

U’s boss Humes took action at half-time, taking off Moncur and sending on striker Rhys Healey who played just in front of Sears as the home side’s most advanced attacker as they looked for a way back into the contest.

And the change paid almost dividends, with Colchester back on level terms five minutes later.

After a swift Colchester break, Watt picked out Healey and although the on-loan Cardiff City forward still had plenty to do, he clinically planted a fine shot past goalkeeper Tommy Lee for his third goal in U’s colours.

Watt’s fierce shot flew narrowly wide as Colchester began to build some momentum and just before the hour, the lively Healey almost grabbed his second when he raced into the area and prodded a shot just wide of the far post.

And Colchester scored the U’s winner with four minutes to go through Sears, whose excellent shot left Lee with no chance.

For a report and pictures from Colchester's win over Chesterfield, see Wednesday's Daily Gazette.