Colchester United were left still searching for their first League One win of the season as they were beaten 2-1 at Bristol City.

It was far from a poor performance by the U’s and they probably deserved at least a draw, especially as they took the lead early and held on to it at half-time.

But a couple of lapses at the back proved their undoing after the break and meant they were unable to add to their opening day draw against Oldham.

Colchester made three changes from the side that lost 4-0 at Charlton in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday, with Marcus Bean in for Dominic Vose and Sam Walker returning in goal for Chris Lewington, while Magnus Okuonghae was replaced by Frankie Kent.

With skipper Okuonghae unavailable due to the red card he received at Charlton, Kent came in for his first senior start and he was quickly in the firing line as the hosts made a bright.

However, Kent and the rest of the U’s defence weathered that early storm.

That gave them a platform to break out themselves and it led to the opening goal in the ninth minute.

Sean Clohessy, who had been handed the captain’s armband in Okuonghae’s absence, showed great composure to square the ball to George Moncur and the West Ham loanee tucked it away for his second goal of the season.

The hosts didn’t stay on the back foot for long and they were quickly back into their but the U’s contained them well.

In fact they went closest to scoring before the break when Jabo Ibehre lifted a shot just over the bar as it stayed 1-0 after 45 minutes.

After 46, though, it was 1-1.

Colchester’s defence that had done so well before the interval was caught cold after 55 seconds and Aaron Wilbraham steered the ball in from six yards to put the hosts level.

Colchester responded well but couldn’t find a second goal and it was Bristol who took the lead instead.

A corner from the Robins’ right looked innocuous enough, but Walker was unable to get to the ball and Wilbraham flicked it past the stranded U’s keeper into the net.

The U’s made changes and pressed for a equaliser, but the closest they came was when Clohessy fired over from a good position after good work by substitute Dominic Vose.

That was the last meaningful action in front of goal and the U’s were left thinking what could have been as they went down to a 2-1 defeat.