A MAN took his own life by jumping in front of a train, an inquest heard.

Michael Heathcote, 64, died at Colchester North Train Station after he jumped in front of a train which was pulling into the station from the north.

Mr Heathcote, who was known to mental health services, was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

At Essex Coroner’s Court in Chelmsford, coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray heard evidence from Inspector Judith Erricsson of British Transport Police.

Ms Erricson told the court: “CCTV footage within the station showed shortly after 11.30am Mr Heathcote was walking around the station drinking from a can of alcohol.

“The station was busy at the time and Mr Heathcote could be seen talking to a group of women before wandering up to the south end of the platform and sitting down with his legs dangling over the edge of the tracks.

“As a train drew near, Mr Heathcote jumped from the platform into the path of the train.

“The driver stopped almost immediately after the collision.

“Emergency services sadly found he had died at the scene.”

She added: “The toxicology report shows Mr Heathcote had 178 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood in his system, which is more than double the drink drive limit.

“At Colchester General Hospital, a post mortem examination found the cause of death to be multiple injuries.

“There is no evidence of any third party involvement.”

Mr Heathcote was living in Halstead at the time of his death.

He had had limited dealings with the Essex Partnership Mental Health Trust.

Representing them, Emma Strivens said: “Mr Heathcote had two meetings with the trust, in October 2016 and April 2017.

“He had low mood associated with complex family dynamics and housing problems but was not referred onwards.”

Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray concluded: “I am satisfied with the evidence provided there was no third party involvement in Michael Heathcote’s death, and I sadly record he intentionally took his own life, dying of multiple injuries.”