A LITTLE boy whose bravery captured the hearts of many in his short life has died from cancer.

The heartbroken parents of Mackenzie Cackett, four, paid tribute to their cheeky son, who never complained about his illness.

Mackenzie, known as Kenzie, became unwell in July 2010 and was diagnosed with a brain tumour in February last year.

Although the tumour was destroyed using groundbreaking “proton therapy” in Florida, the youngster, of Juniper Close, Halstead, became paralysed from the waist down in January this year.

Doctors at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, where he had been treated previously, discovered an inoperable growth on his spine.

He was given just weeks to live, but fought on until May 28, when he died at the Treehouse Hospice, in Ipswich.

Mum Danielle Uren, 28, said: “He was such a happy, brave little boy and I think that’s why everyone who came into contact with him just warmed to him straight away.

“Everyone is going to miss him so much.

“He has touched so many lives, it is unbelievable really. He’s had such an impact.”

Wellwishers, led by Kenzie’s nan Deborah Hartley, from Clacton, organised fundraising events across north Essex to give Kenzie as much fun and comfort as possible.

Mum Danielle praised the East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH), which runs the Treehouse Hospice, where Kenzie spent his final months.

In March, the family met the Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton, who officially opened the £3million building in her role as patron of EACH.

Kenzie’s funeral will take place next Thursday in Colchester.

Donations can be made to EACH, c/o John J Smith & Son Funeral Service, St Mary’s Chapel, Mersea Road, Colchester CO2 8RT.

DANIELLE Uren and partner James Cackett, 33, raised concerns about the care their son Kenzie received at Colchester General Hospital.

They made a formal complaint last year about the treatment he received in the months leading to his first diagnosis.

In a letter last February, chief executive Dr Gordon Coutts accepted there had been problems in making follow-up appointments after Kenzie first attended the hospital in September 2010, having suffered vomiting.

He said Kenzie’s symptoms had not been typical of a brain tumour, but he had been given an MRI scan in February after he complained of headaches.

Kenzie’s parents said they took him back to Colchester Hospital between last November and January this year because he was suffering from stomach pains.

They say they were told it was unlikely to be linked to his previous brain tumour.

He was later diagnosed with a tumour in his spine.

Danielle and James say they do not know if the outcome for Kenzie would have been different if his tumours had been discovered earlier.

His mum said: “It might not have made a difference to the eventual outcome, but the fact is he suffered so much longer when he shouldn’t have been suffering.”

The couple plan to speak to the hospital’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service to ask for Kenzie’s notes.

A spokesman for Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust said: “We would like to express our heartfelt sympathy and condolences to Mackenzie’s family and friends following their loss.

“Early in 2011, we apologised in writing to Miss Uren for a series of breakdowns in communication, and had a series of meetings to discuss the family’s concerns.

“We held a meeting on Wednesday with Mackenzie’s parents, at which we discussed their outstanding concerns about the care of their son.”