A WOMAN has had to learn how to walk again after an aggressive drink-driver ploughed into the car she was in, a court heard.

The woman was with her two sisters, travelling along Cymbeline Way, Colchester, when Enoch Aykeampong’s van crashed into them.

He was jailed for four months after admitting drink-driving at Colchester Magistrates’ Court.

Aykeampong had more than twice the legal limit of alcohol in his blood when the crash happened on January 1, the court heard.

He later said he could not remember the crash, but thought he fell asleep prior to it happening.

Sharon Hall, prosecuting, said Aykeampong was travelling in the direction of the A12 when his van crossed the white line in the centre of the road and the collision occurred.

Two cars had been travelling in the opposite direction, one of which contained the three sisters.

Ms Hall said: “Three sisters had to be cut out by the fire brigade.

“Police attended and the defendant was clearly intoxicated. He became a aggressive when arrested.

“In relation to the three sisters in the vehicle, they sustained serious injuries. One was discharged that evening. However, the two others sustained serious fractures to their backs and remained in hospital for some weeks.

“One is still in hospital having to learn to walk again.

“These were life-changing injuries.”

A blood sample was taken from Aykeampong, 45, of Honeysuckle Way, Witham.

It showed there were 176 mgs of alcohol in 100 mls of blood. The legal limit is 80.

Ms Hall told the court Aykeampong had a row with his girlfriend before the incident and decided to travel home.

She added: “He was sorry and hasn’t drunk since and will not drink again.”

Louise Reader, mitigating, said the sisters had since been compensated by an insurance company.

Magistrates banned Aykeampong, who had previously been on bail, from driving for five years.

A section of the road had to be closed to allow the air ambulance to land following the 2pm incident.

Aykeampong was taken to Colchester General Hospital where he was treated for minor injuries.

The driver of the third car avoided serious injury and did not require hospital treatment.