Swifts earned their first point of the season on Saturday, substitute Terry Warwick netting a late equaliser, and the goal was his first for the club.

A 5-3-2 formation gave the Swifts line up more solidity, and they started well.

Simon Parker scuffed an early chance after being put clear by Wayne Adcock, and from a corner on 15 minutes Ben Lewis and Christian McLean both had efforts cleared off the line.

Basingstoke were creating little, and having already been booked, Taffy Richardson was fortunate not to have been sent off, following a foul on Heybridge goalkeeper John Cheesewright .

Against the run of play Basingstoke scored with two long range efforts, within two minutes on the half hour, Siils and Mancey the scorers.

Sandwiched between these two goals was Mitchell Springett's own 25 yard 'special' that flew into the net for a short lived equaliser in a manic spell.

Parker then did well to win the ball out wide and his cross was nodded on by Gillespie to Mark Cranfield who, revelling in his wing back role, should have buried the chance.

The second half was more even, with Swifts creating the better chances without scoring.

Alex Fiddes replaced Gillespie to give the team further width, and McLean moved up front to great effect.

Basingstoke's attacks were floundering with Lewis growing stronger as the game developed.

Time was beginning to run out, but an inspired substitution saw Warwick replace Adcock, and he justified the faith shown in him with a turn and close range shot into the net for his first goal for the club to equalise on 88 minutes.

There was plenty of injury time and chances came at both ends, but to the delight of their travelling supporters, Swifts achieved their first point of the season, the least that their display deserved.

Heybridge Swifts : Cheesewright, Cranfield, Taylor, English, Lewis, Gillespie (Fiddes), McLean, Parker, Streetley, Adcock and Springett.

On Saturday Swifts visit Aldershot Town, for a Ryman League Premier Division fixture (kick-off 3pm).

Swifts Reserves trounced Ware 5-0 in their opening Essex & Herts Border League fixture of the season.

The impressive Simon Morder in goal set the tone, and young Jermaine Dominique hit a fine hat-trick, while 'veterans', Ricky Clarke and Mark Culleton, netted to complete the rout.

Converted for the new archive on 19 November 2001. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.