A teenager's right hand was blown to pieces in a horrific accident as he tried to build homemade fireworks in his parents' garage.

The 17-year-old suffered serious hand injuries when a firework exploded in his hands at home in Steeple Bumpstead.

Police say the boy's family were at the house, in Bower Hall Drive, when the accident happened.

The injured youngster was airlifted by helicopter to Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.

An ambulance spokesman said: "Most of the flesh on his right hand was blown away by the explosion. The patient also had damage to his left hand."

The blast happened at about 4.45pm yesterday (Sunday). Police say it is still unclear what the teenager - who has not been named - was using to build the fireworks.

But they issued a warning to youngsters who may be tempted to build their own explosives.

"This isn't something people should try to do at home," said a spokesman.

"They should only buy fireworks which meet proper safety standards."

Converted for the new archive on 19 November 2001. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.