An inquest into the deaths of a man and a woman who died from a drug overdose at a Colchester address has been reviewed ahead of the first hearing. 

Jonathan Parsons, 34, and Kelly Greer, 41, were found dead at an address in Mersea Road on May 30, 2023. 

According to Essex Police, Ms Greer had sustained injuries and they were both pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 9.30am. 

A forensic post-mortem examination determined Mr Parsons’ cause of death as complications of multi-drug toxicity after he was found unresponsive and confirmed dead at the scene. 

Inquest - A pre-inquest review hearing took place in ChelmsfordInquest - A pre-inquest review hearing took place in Chelmsford (Image: NQ)

On June 12, senior coroner Lincoln Brookes announced the full inquest into both deaths will take place on November 11-12 to ensure that a police domestic homicide report is available for the hearing. 

The court heard that Mr Parsons’ family had declined to attend the hearing and wished not to be contacted about the outcome of the inquest. 

During the pre-inquest review, Mr Brookes established people of interest for the hearing, who can support the fact-finding. 

This includes housing and health organisations, with which Mr Parsons and Ms Greer were in contact, to establish the circumstances of the deaths. 

Cordon - A courtyard was shut off by police officers off Fairfax Road (Image: Essex Police)Cordon - A courtyard was shut off by police officers off Fairfax Road (Image: Essex Police)

It is believed that Ms Greer’s death was an “unlawful killing”, the court heard. 

Mr Brookes offered his “deepest condolences” to the families of the deceased. 

Tributes posted on social media following their deaths told of the “shock” among the community. 

Det Insp James Holmes, who is leading the police investigation, previously said he does not believe anyone else was involved in the incident. 

“My thoughts, and those of my team, are with the families and we are working hard to provide them with answers," he said. 

“We are making good progress with our investigation and are building a picture of the circumstances which led up to Kelly and Jonathan’s deaths. 

“At this stage we do not believe anyone else was involved in the incident and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with it.”