A TEEN who was threatened with a knife during a robbery in Colchester has said he was "scared to leave the house" after the shocking attack.

The incident was one of two which occurred on back-to-back days in city centre beauty spots, both carried out by the same person.

The first, in Castle Park, saw an e-scooter taken from a 16-year-old boy.

Gazette: Incident - one of the robberies occurred in Castle ParkIncident - one of the robberies occurred in Castle Park (Image: Newsquest)

During the robbery the victim was approached by a 17-year-old boy and threatened.

The victim reported he was placed into a headlock and told he would be stabbed if he didn’t hand over his scooter.

This incident was then followed by a bike being stolen from a 15-year-old boy in Old Heath Recreation Ground the next day.

During the second incident, the victim was approached by the same suspect and threatened. 

Gazette: Site - the Old Health Recreation GroundSite - the Old Health Recreation Ground (Image: Newsquest)

When the suspect began to draw a knife from his bag, the victim handed over his bicycle.

After interviewing the victims and carrying out enquiries, the offender was arrested and charged with two counts of robbery following the incidents.

He admitted the charges at Colchester Magistrates’ Court.

Appearing at the same court for sentence last month, he was sentenced to a 12-month youth referral order, with an intensive supervision and surveillance order attached.

He was also ordered to pay £300 in total compensation to the victims.

Gazette: Sentenced - Colchester Magistrates' CourtSentenced - Colchester Magistrates' Court (Image: Newsquest)

Both victims have since opened up about the lasting trauma caused by the ordeals last summer.

The victim of the scooter robbery said: “Immediately after the incident I felt immense anger as I felt something had been taken from me – my confidence and my pride.

“I struggled to get back onto my feet as I kept looking over my shoulder fearing a second incident.”

“This incident has affected everything,” the bike robbery victim added.

“I felt scared to even leave the house, I would go outside and couldn’t help thinking that the same thing could happen again.”

Officer in the case Det Con Juliette Snow said both victims were left with “lasting anxieties” and “understandable trauma” after the incidents.