TWO people were rushed to hospital after a crash involving two cars and a bus.

Emergency services closed Military Road, Colchester, for more than three hours after the collision, which happened earlier this afternoon.

The incident involving two cars – a Rover and a Ford Kuga – and a bus was reported just before 1pm and the road remained closed until after 4pm, a police spokesman said.

Four ambulance service vehicles were called to the scene and rushed two people to Colchester Hospital, though it is understood no-one sustained injuries which are considered to be life-threatening or life-changing.

Gazette: Four ambulance service vehicles were called to the sceneFour ambulance service vehicles were called to the scene (Image: Newsquest)

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We were called just after 12.50pm to reports of a road traffic collision on Military Road in Colchester involving two cars and a bus.

“Two ambulances, a rapid response vehicle and an ambulance officer vehicle were sent to the scene. Two patients were transported to Colchester Hospital for further treatment.”

Essex Police confirmed police officers were also called to the scene and reported one motorist, the driver of the Rover, for careless driving.

A spokesman for the force said: “We were called to Military Road, Colchester, shortly after 12.45pm on Wednesday, February 21 following reports of a collision.

“The road was closed whilst officers dealt with the collision involving two cars and a bus.”

The police confirmed two women were taken to hospital as a precaution and that no arrests have been made.

Firefighters were not called to the scene.

An eyewitness told the Gazette the crash happened at the top of Military Road near Colchester city centre and that nearby Golden Noble Hill was blocked off while emergency services were on scene.

Military Road stretches between St Botolph’s Circus, near Colchester Town train station and Colchester Magistrates’ Court, and the Old Heath Recreation Ground at the junction of Old Heath Road and Wimpole Road.

Traffic remained heavy in the area for several hours after the crash, with congestion building on Magdalen Street and Wimpole Road as drivers avoided the area.

Essex Police said Military Road re-opened at about 4.15pm once officers concluded their inquiries into the collision.