TODAY’s nostalgia spread looks back on Colchester’s role in the nationwide celebrations for the late Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee.

The Queen celebrated her Diamond Jubilee back in 2012, marking her 60th anniversary on the throne.

By 2012, the Queen had visited Colchester and north Essex multiple times.

Her very first visit dates back to 1949 when she was still Princess Elizabeth.

However, the first visit during her reign as Queen was in 1958.

In May 1985, she made another visit to the then-town of Colchester, which included stopping by Essex University as well as seeing a library book exhibition and telecommunications building.

The Queen officially opened Colchester General Hospital in Turner Road.

In 2004, she delighted crowds in Colchester with a walkabout, enjoyed lunch in the Town Hall and returned to Essex University, this time to mark its 40th anniversary.

Considering this history, local residents eagerly joined in on the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

Pupils from Elmstead Market Primary School planted a time capsule to tell future generations how they celebrated the Diamond Jubilee.

The children chose items such as the Jubilee souvenir edition of the Gazette and photographs of kids planting elm trees to put into the memory box.

Julie Snowden, a member of Elmstead Market Parish Council, which paid £240 for the capsule, was behind the project.

She said: “We’re going to open it in 50 years, so by then all the kids who were involved will be about 60 and hopefully will remember their part.

“I just thought it would be a nice gift from the council to the people and to have the kids involved was just great.”

In November 2012, it was announced a mix of 22 magnolia, flowering hawthorn, flowering dogwood and rowan trees were to be planted as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations during National Tree Week.

Meanwhile, volunteers in Wivenhoe worked on a jigsaw intended to commemorate life in the town.

After completing designs, these were then transferred onto 11 large wooden pieces.

The jigsaw was to be assembled on the King George V Playing Field, as part of Wivenhoe’s jubilee celebrations, on June 4, 2012.