A MERSEA couple have been found dead after a suspected carbon monoxide leak.

Stephen and Carol Baxter were found by a family member in their West Mersea home on Sunday, and emergency services were called immediately.

Mr Baxter and Mrs Baxter were joint directors of a bath and shower mat business called Cazsplash which was founded in 2012.

An official statement from Essex Police said the deaths of Mr Baxter, 61, and Mrs Baxter, 64, are not being treated as suspicious.

In a statement given to the Gazette, a spokesman said: "We were called by colleagues in the ambulance service to concerns for the welfare of two people at a home in Victory Road, West Mersea om Sunday 9 April, at about 1.30pm.

"Officers arrived and, sadly, found two people aged in their 60s had died.

"Their deaths are being treated as unexpected but not suspicious.

"Officers are working on behalf of the coroner to establish the circumstances which led to the deaths."