TRIBUTES are being paid to popular former Colchester United player, coach and chief scout Paul Dyer who has died.

Mr Dyer, who was 69, played more than 150 times for the U's, between 1975 and 1980.

He also worked for Colchester as a coach and scout and represented the U's in different roles for nearly 25 years.

A minute's silence was held in memory of Mr Dyer on Saturday at half-time of the Hope for Grace charity match held at Stanway Rovers FC, where many former U's players and staff were present.


In a Facebook post on behalf of the Colchester United FC Former Players Association on Sunday, former U's favourite John Schultz wrote: "News broke at the Charity Match at Stanway Rovers FC that Paul Dyer had lost his brave fight with Cancer and passed away at 12.30 yesterday.

"With full respect the Legends team and all involved joined in a minutes silence before the start of the second half.

"Met Paul with former players Steve Foley, Terry Price, Steve Dowman, Barry Smith and Peter Hughes at Costa, Stanway a couple of months ago when Paul bravely told us where he was with his fight with Cancer.

"Photo of Paul was taken in his first season after his transfer from Notts County when he started his long involvement with the club as a player, cosch and scout.

"Our thoughts are with Carol, family and friends at this sad time. RIP Paul."

Born in Leicester in January 1953, Mr Dyer started his playing career at Notts County and was brought to Colchester by manager Bobby Roberts, in 1975.

He made his U's debut in a game at Preston North End in August, 1975.

Mr Dyer was a regular in the Colchester side that won Division Four promotion in the 1976-77 season and was part of the team that played against Manchester United in the FA Cup.


After making more than 150 league and cup appearances for the U's, Mr Dyer played his final game for the club on Boxing Day 1979 against Gillingham and moved onto Gravesend and Northfleet.

He also played for Chelmsford City and Tiptree United, before taking Haverhill to the quarter-finals of the FA Vase in 1987 as manager.

He returned to Colchester in 1991 after being brought back by Ian Atkins as chief scout, a role he served until 2009.

Away from Layer Road, Mr Dyer was also a well-known face in Colchester having been a publican at various establishments over the years.

He held the licence for The Lamb in High Street during Colchester's memorable Conference seasons under Roy McDonough, in the early 1990s.

After leaving the U's, he worked as a scout for Queens Park Rangers and lived and worked in Colchester as a taxi driver.