A TERRIFIED dog owner fears her pet was poisoned after he collapsed on East Beach during a walk.

Four-year-old springer spaniel, Bomber, became so ill during a trip to East Beach in Shoebury on Sunday that he started fitting.

His distraught owner, Claire Missen, 49, from Southchurch, rushed her stricken pooch to a vet where he received emergency treatment.

Miss Missen said it’s not known if it was something someone put down, or if it was from sea pollution.

She added: “It all happened so quickly.

“He’s normally so fit and healthy.

“We just went for a stroll with our other dog Trouper and on the way back he just collapsed.

“We carried him back to the car and by that time he’d started fitting. I thought he was going to die. It was horrific.”

A young fox was also reported to have been found dead on East Beach on the same day.

The fox, who had no signs of injury, was seen being removed by a foreshore officer.

Bomber is now at home recovering but Miss Missen warned other pet owners to be vigilant.

She added: “The vet said it was likely to have been a toxin.

“We don’t know that it was something someone put down. It could have been a naturally occurring toxin like a mould. Or it could have been sea pollution.”

Oliver Duprey from Southend Medivet said: “We saw Bomber on Sunday after he had collapsed following a walk and subsequently had a seizure.

“Blood tests and abdominal imaging found no systemic cause for the seizure or hypoglycaemia, and so a presumptive diagnosis of toxin ingestion was made.

“He was treated medically and he was discharged to his loving owner the next day.

“It is not known what toxin Bomber may have ingested, but at this time of the year patients often present to our hospital with signs consistent with mycotoxin ingestion which can be associated with mouldy foodstuffs, but, also natural growing fungus.

“We are very happy to hear that Bomber is doing very well.”