KIND-HEARTED neighbours rallied around to help their elderly neighbour who was rescued from a house fire.

The group, from the New Town area of Colchester, have raised £500 to help their 97-year-old neighbour after a fire was accidentally started in the bedroom of her home.

Neighbour Angie Jones described how the fire victim was led from the house by her next-door neighbour before the fire service arrived.

The pensioner was sent to hospital for treatment.

“She got her out of there safely,” said Angie.

“It isn’t a huge road and we all noticed around six emergency service vehicles.

“We had initially hoped to raise around £50 for her, with the hope of buying her some gifts after she gets back from hospital. Thanks to some wonderful support, we have already reached £455.”

Neighbours have also left cards filled with well wishes ahead of the pensioner’s return from hospital.

Angie added: “This is one of the great things to come out of lockdown. I think we have about 60 per cent of people in the road in a WhatsApp group so we can keep a bit of an eye on each other.

Essex Fire Service confirmed two crews from Colchester were called to the fire at around 9.34pm on Monday.

A spokesman said: “Two crews attended and found a small fire in a bedroom.

“We believe it started when some paper had fallen onto an electric fire.

“The occupant was alerted by a smoke alarm and was out of the property when crews arrived. She had been helped out by a neighbour.

“Crews extinguished the fire by 10.04pm. Damage was restricted to the bedroom and the cause has been recorded as accidental.”

To donate to the appeal, visit