A MAN was rescued from his smoke-logged flat by firefighters after a blaze started while he cooked breakfast.

Crews were called out to Elfreda House, sheltered accommodation for vulnerable residents, in Iceni Way, Colchester, early this morning.

After arriving, crews reported a second floor flat was heavily smoke logged.

Firefighters extinguished the flames by 7:43am and rescued a man from the flat.

He was left in the care of the ambulance service.

An Essex Fire Service spokesman said: "The flat suffered extensive smoke and fire damage.

"The fire is believed to have been caused accidentally and a fire investigation will take place later today."

Last July the Gazette reported on multi-million pound plans to demolish and rebuild Elfreda House.

Colchester Council's proposals will see the existing building, which is more than 55-years-old, torn down before a totally new scheme is built in its place.

Under the plans the number of homes at the scheme would increase from 32 to 36, made up of 34 one-bed and two two bed apartments.

A Colchester Borough Homes spokesman said: "A fire occurred at Colchester Borough Homes sheltered housing scheme, Elfreda House, earlier today, which was attended by fire crews who quickly extinguished a small fire in one of the flats.

"The tenant, who was cooking breakfast at the time, is being treated in hospital for the effects of smoke inhalation and continues to be supported.

"Fortunately, no one else was affected in the incident."