DELIGHTED villagers lined the streets to welcome home a heroic dad who spent almost a month in intensive care battling coronavirus.

Omar Taylor, 31, who suffered two severe strokes because of the virus, was clapped by clinical staff as he left Colchester Hospital on Sunday.

Friends and neighbours also lined the streets of Rowhedge to welcome him home, clapping and cheering as he arrived with wife Kaitlyn, daughter Vivienne, four, and son Harrison, two.

Kaitlyn said: “I was so nervous to pick him up because I did not think this was going to happen.

“I didn’t think he would be coming home at all. It was really overwhelming, especially at the hospital.

“I expected him to come out in a wheelchair but he came walking around the corner on his own.

“I said to him on Sunday ‘This is better than our wedding day, our honeymoon or the days our children were born’.

“Seeing Rowhedge come out to welcome him was wonderful.

“All of his friends spread out along the route to welcome him and there were people we have never met cheering us arriving home.”

Kaitlyn, who is a student nurse and works at Colchester Hospital, said the family were unbelievably grateful to all the medics who saved Omar’s life.

She added: “I cannot thank them enough. The hospital staff are so incredible and if it wasn’t for them he would not be here.

“He is looking forward to going back when he can to say thank you in person, although he won’t recognise people if they’re not wearing their PPE.”

Care manager Omar was taken to ICU at Colchester Hospital on March 22, three days after being admitted with breathing difficulties.

He spent almost a month in intensive care, including being on a ventilator, and also suffered two strokes from bleeds to his brain.

However, Omar fought back against the virus and was given the all clear on April 18.

He has been receiving physio and speech therapy at the hospital for the affects of the strokes but was determined to make it home in time for Harrison’s third birthday next week.

Since his diagnosis, friends and neighbours have rallied round the couple, raising nearly £15,000 for the family.

Donate at