FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning about bonfires and using incinerators after a fire spread to a barn.

Two crews from Clacton were called to Pilcox Hall Lane in Tendring at about 9.15am on Monday.

Crews said a barn, which measured 25 metres by 10 metres, was completely alight.

Crews evacuated people from nearby homes as they dealt with the blaze.

The firefighters from Clacton fire station extinguished the fire by 10.30am. 

An investigation found the blaze had started after an incinerator fire spread to a nearby barn.

The barn was completely destroyed during the fire.

Firefighters have now issued advice about bonfires and using incinerators following a rise in incidents.

Watch manager Jim Bowyer, from Clacton Fire Station, said: “We’ve seen a rise in bonfires and outdoor fires.

“We would urge people using incinerators to only use them away from flammable items like barns, sheds and fences and to have a working hose or water bucket nearby.

“We also urge you not to leave any bonfires or incinerators unattended and to apply water to it before leaving it.”


The warning comes following similar advice issued after a bonfire spread to a shed and fences in Groom Park, Clacton, in January.

A man was also left homeless in after an unattended bonfire caused a major blaze in Norman Way, Point Clear, last August.

Just three weeks later another unattended bonfire spread to six gardens, sheds and a summerhouse in nearby Dumont Avenue

Advice from firefighters includes siting the bonfire well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs and never leaving the bonfire burning unattended.

Stacks should be built so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side.

Residents are also advised to never use flammable liquids such as paraffin or petrol to light the fire and not to burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles.

People should keep everyone away from the fire, especially children, who must be supervised at all times.

Water should also be poured on the embers before leaving.

Anyone wanting more information, can go to the Essex County Fire and Rescue website at