A DRINK driver intentionally smashed his car into the central reservation on the A12.

Michael Rees had drunk cans of Carlsberg before picking his girlfriend up from Stansted Airport.

A row broke out when they returned to her Colchester home, and Rees drove off again in a bid to clear his head.

He also sunk more beer whilst he was at the wheel.

While driving on the A12 between East Bergholt and Colchester he decided to drive his Vauxhall Astra into the central reservation in a bid to take his own life.

Members of the public – including a retired firefighter – came to his aid before emergency services arrived.

He was taken to hospital for treatment on his injuries.

A breathalyser test several hours after the smash in the early hours of November 2 showed he had 86 mcgs of alcohol per 100mls of breath – more than double the legal limit of 35.

The 36-year-old admitted drink driving at Colchester Magistrates’ Court.

Representing himself, Rees told the bench about his intentions on the night and said he regretted what happened.

He said: “I believed the argument would result in me losing my partner. I got it in my head there was no point in being around if she was not in my life.

“I drove to East Bergholt and then back on to the A12 and had just driven through the average speed cameras towards Colchester when I moved into the left-hand lane and veered sharply into the central reservation.

“I cannot express to the court how remorseful I feel.”

Rees, of Orvis Lane, East Bergholt, has now given up alcohol and has reconciled with his partner.

However, he has lost his job at a haulage company as a result of the crash.

He was banned from driving for 22 months and must pay a £160 fine, a £32 victim surcharge and £250 costs.

Chairman of the bench Martin Stuchfield said: “It was an extremely high reading on the A12. It is not so much you wanted to do harm to yourself but it is the potential harm to other road users.

“It was a dangerous thing to do, on a major road in a built-up area.”