LAST week Colchester was rocked after three men were discovered having been stabbed to death.

Here is everything we know about the investigation.

What happened?

Police received a call regarding an altercation in Wellesley Road, Colchester, at 10.15pm last Saturday.

Three men - later identified as Darren Gibson, 35, his brother Jason Gibson, 31, and Richard Booth, 35, - were found dead.

The brothers were found inside a property while Mr Booth was discovered inside a car in nearby Hospital Road.

All three had multiple stab wounds - including ones to the neck.

Police were searching ten areas of interest and for a "sharp" weapon they believed were used in the attacks.


Who has been arrested?

Tom Saunders, 32, of Bounstead Road, Colchester, was arrested shortly after the three men were found.

He was being treated at hospital for injuries of his own.

Police have confirmed he is the uncle of the Gibson brothers and knew Mr Booth but was not related to him.

Police charged him in the early hours of Tuesday morning with three counts of murder and one of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.

He appeared at Colchester Magistrates' Court where he spat in the dock, and then at Chelmsford Crown Court via video link.

He will be back in court in November.


Why did the police not respond immediately?

Worried residents have asked why there was a delay between police being called disturbance at 10.15pm and the men being discovered two hours later.

Essex Police have referred themselves to a watchdog called the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) about their response.

The IOPC have said they will assess to see if any investigation is required.


How have the community reacted?

Colchester Council's public safety boss Mike Lilley said he was still shocked several days on from the incident - such was the nature of the attacks.

He has also backed the IOPC referral saying it will stop "rumours and speculation."

Colchester MP Will Quince described the deaths as tragic and Sue Lissimore - the county councillor for Lexden - said it was especially surprising to hear it happening in that area.

District commander Rob Huddleston insisted Colchester was still safe.

"This incident has left our community shocked and saddened," he said.

"We are treating it as a targeted and isolated incident. Those involved were well known to each other and we do not believe it was linked to any gang-related crime or drug use.

"Colchester is a safe place to live, work and socialise and we will continue to work with our partners to ensure this continues.


How have the victim's families reacted?

Tributes have been paid to the men who died.

The family of the Gibson brothers said they were devastated.

"The loss of our two boys will never be replaced."

Mr Booth's distraught loved ones added: "“He was a wonderful son, brother, father and friend.

“He would do anything for anyone and even though he didn’t have much, he would give you everything he had if you needed it."

A fundraising page has been set up to pay for the car lover's funeral costs.

To donate click HERE.