AN off duty police officer restrained a drunk man who exposed his genitals and made sexual advances to disembarking train passengers.

Brendan Cremin, 57, was spotted urinating against the wall of a platform at Colchester Town railway station by PC Joseph Mansi.

Mr Mansi, who was disembarking a train, watched on as Cremin turned around and began uttering homophobic slurs at passengers.

Sharon Hall, prosecuting at Colchester Magistrates’ Court, said: “He was wandering along the platform, approaching woman and young adults of a college age.”

He made crude insinuations to them.

Cremin also directed racially-abusive language towards a passing black woman.

Mrs Hall added: “At this point the officer dialled 999 and stayed on the phone while monitoring his movements.”

When Mr Mansi moved to restrain Cremin, a struggle ensued during which the offender attempted to “kick and bite” the officer.

“He detained him on the floor until officers arrived,” said Mrs Hall.

“He said Mr Cremin was extremely violent and drunk.

“He said during the course of the incident he suffered an injury - a cut to his nose.”

Cremin, of Hythe Hill, Colchester, denied charges of outraging public decency and resisting a constable in the execution of his duty.

He was convicted on both counts after a trial before a district judge.

Paul Baker, mitigating, said: “He still maintains his innocence for these matters but accepts he is to be sentenced today.

“He was convicted on a full facts basis of the matter of outraging public decency, but in his evidence PC Mansi makes no reference to Mr Cremin kicking or biting him.

“If he had, my client would have been charged with assault rather than resisting arrest.”

He added: “Mr Cremin is profoundly deaf.

“This has created over the years a sense of isolation.

“That isolation affected his mental health and as a result of which then turned to alcohol consumption which in my submission made his circumstances worse.”

Magistrates ordered Cremin to complete a 30 day rehabilitation activity requirement and carry out weekly one-to-one sessions addressing his alcohol consumption.

He was ordered to pay a total of £605 in fines and court costs.