A PAIR of care workers who ill-treated a vulnerable mental health patient leaving him with serious injuries have been jailed for more than three years.

Scott Geeson, 28, lashed out and kicked the 44-year-old man whilst working at Cambian Fairview Hospital, Mile End Road, Colchester, back in 2016.

Lelish Shercan, 27, was also on duty and should have been looking after the patient, who suffered severe mental health problems and had learning difficulties.

Geeson, of Winnock Road, Colchester, and Shercan, of Circus Square Colchester, admitted ill-treating or wilfully neglecting a person without capacity on the day of their trial earlier this month.

Prosecutor Richard Kelly told the court the victim suffered “serious injuries” in the assault.

He was found with fractured ribs and a punctured lung after an encounter with the pair in his room. He has since made a full physical recovery and has been moved to another care home. Cambian no longer runs the facility.

A charge of grievous bodily harm against the pair will lie on file.

Jake Taylor, mitigating on behalf of Geeson, said his client did not accept he had caused all of the injuries.

He said: “Around this time his mother had become very unwell and passed away. Factors built up and resulted in a man lashing out against someone who he otherwise had a good relationship with.”

Shercan was educated in Nepal and his father is a member of the Royal Gurkha Regiment.

Sean Hammond, mitigating on behalf of Shercan, said he was at risk of deportation from the country if he was sent straight to custody.

He said: “The way he behaved on this occasion is completely out of character. He deeply regrets the suffering caused to the victim and his family and wants to offer his sincere apologies.”

Judge John Devaux jailed Geeson for 21 months and Shercan for 16 months. Shercan’s sentence will be suspended for two years.

Det Cons Tim Harris said: “It has taken more than three years to see justice for this extremely vulnerable victim. The people who should have cared for him were those who betrayed and mistreated him – their behaviour was vile and completely unacceptable.

“I hope that the other workers, who have supported us fully throughout this investigation and raised the alarm when they recognised the victim’s injuries, realise how instrumental they were in the outcome of this case.

“Speaking out against colleagues, even when they’ve done something wrong, can be incredibly difficult. Their bravery has made a real difference to someone who could not speak for themselves. By standing up, they’ve given him a voice and allowed Shercan and Geeson to be brought to justice.

“This case was complex and harrowing for everyone involved in the investigation, but it has highlighted one thing – we need whistle blowers now more than ever. If that’s you, come forward and call us. You never know what impact it could have.”