BUSY town centre streets were shut after an underground fire led to a gas leak.

Firefighters were called to St Botolph's Street, Colchester, shortly after 6pm on Thursday.

There had been reports of a fire.

The crews discovered a small blaze had broken out in an electrical substation which had led to a gas leak.

St Botolph's Street, Queen Street and parts of the High Street were shut with buses and other traffic diverted.

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: "As a precaution, crews set up a safety cordon including road closures while the gas and electricity boards worked to investigate and repair the leak.

“Crews ensured the area was safe before leaving the scene at 7.43pm.”