Firefighters have saved a house from going up in flames.

Crews from Braintree and Halstead were called out to a property Cumberland Close, Braintree, just after 1pm today (Monday, July 8).

When they arrived, they found a fire had started in a bedroom cupboard which contained a water heater.

The entire first floor of the house was also full of smoke.

Firefighters were able to extinguish quickly before they then used a high powered fan to clear the smoke from the property.

An investigation has concluded the fire was an accident.