THE parents of a baby who died in his cot have officially heard it was due to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Care worker Katie Jones had come home from a night shift in August and went to check on her baby, Johnny.

He was blue and was not breathing. Her husband Sam performed CPR but the couple were told at Colchester General Hospital he had died.

Mrs Jones, 27, of Beechwood Close, Colchester, said the post mortem examination for her son, who was five months old, revealed he died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Sometimes known as cot death, it is the sudden, unexpected and unexplained death of an apparently healthy baby.

Most deaths happen during the first six months of a baby’s life.

To celebrate her son’s life, Katie, and husband Sam, 22, are holding a meatball polloza festival in his memory.

Baby Johnny was nicknamed Meatball by his family.

The family is looking to set up a charity in Johnny’s name, raising funds so parents can learn child CPR and can receive counselling.

Katie said: “We have held a couple of first aid courses, and have found a venue at Childsplay Adventureland in Clarendon Way, Colchester.

“The sessions are going to be once a month for now.

“At the festival we are going to get people to put their names down if they are interested and I can contact them.

“I’m also doing a counselling qualification so I can set up my own support group in Colchester.”

They have raised £3,000 so far, six times their initial target of £500.

The fun day, on Saturday, October 27, will be held at Layer-de-laHaye community hall from 10am until 5pm.

There will be face painting, raffles, soft play areas and more.

If anyone is able to help out on the day or donate prizes, they can email Katie at

To donate visit