A FATHER and son team allowed tenants to live in a flat rife with serious safety hazards.

The flat in Bryanita Court, Tiptree, was deemed so unsafe Mahfuzur Rahman and his father, Mohibur Rahman, were ordered by Colchester Council not to let anyone live there.

Overcrowded conditions, poor sanitation caused by poor plumbing, a lack of fire precautions, damp and mould, and a risk of burns from scalding water were among the serious hazards highlighted by inspectors.

The council served a prohibition order in June 2017, stating the property could not be lived in due to its unsafe condition.

The men had 28 days to comply but continued to allow the property to be occupied.

But at a further inspection in July 2017, the flat was found to still be occupied - a breach of the prohibition order - and the council took legal action.

Magistrates at a trial heard the flat has been continuously occupied by different households, whose health and safety has been at risk from the living conditions.

Colchester Council’s private sector housing team first became aware of problems when the owners of a hairdressing business on the floor below complained of water leaking through the ceiling of their premises.

Mahfuzur Rahman, 28, and of Corporation Road, Chelmsford, was found guilty of two breaches of a prohibition order served on him by the council.

He was ordered to pay a £1,800 fine, £4,000 costs and a £90 victim surcharge.

Mohibur Rahman, 53, was separately prosecuted for the same serious offences in January. He was handed a £5,000 fine, £5,152.92 costs and £170 victim fee.

Tina Bourne, the council’s portfolio holder for housing, said: “Poor living conditions are totally unacceptable and can have a serious impact on residents and neighbouring properties. “Colchester Council takes its duty to enforce housing standards very seriously and this prosecution demonstrates that we will not tolerate poor housing conditions and will always take the appropriate action.”