MORE than 4,000 people pounded the streets during Colchester’s eighth Griffin Chapman Half Marathon.

Lead by a £1.3million Porsche, the runners started and finished the 13.1mile course at Weston Homes Community Stadium, in United Way.

It was a chilly but dry day for the runners, but they soon warmed up and were able to pick up the pace.

The day started at about 9am and the first runners crossed the finish line at about 10.10am.


The event was organised by a group of volunteers from Colchester Colne Round Table, and it aimed to raise money for Essex and Herts Air Ambulance and MSUK.

Organiser Liam Austin said it was a spectacular event.

He said: “It was a brilliant set off, there was a really good buzz.

“It was the biggest turn out we have had so far which was great, we were really pleased.”


Money raised from sponsorship and entry fees is still being counted and organisers will host a cheque presentation in the next few weeks.

Spectators cheered on the thousands of runners who entered into the race to raise money for various charities.

This year, for the first time, a team of three Visually Impaired runners and their guides entered.

All three pairs had a fantastic morning, and every pair commented on how great the atmosphere and support around the course was.

Roger Wallace came in at 2hours 22 minutes, guided by Gary Perryman, Louise Simpson came in at 2hours 51 minutes, guided by Lucy West, and Samantha Leftwich came in at 3hours 23minutes, guided by Jennifer Wright.

Some runners had their own personal goals, which made the event even more special.


Pernille Petersen, from the Haven Project which supports people with a Personality Disorder, said one of the group members had been running to raise money for the charity.

She said: “She has been training for about six months and she has been working very hard.

“There have been some challenges in her life and the running has helped her keep going.

“She is in a much better place than she was and she has been making such a huge effort, it has been great for her family to see her running.”

Ramadan Osman was the first at the finish line, after an impressive hour and nine minutes.


Organiser Liam Austin said the event gets better every year.

After the run he said: “It has just been an unbelievable event.

“There is a fantastic turnout year on year.

“I just want to say a huge thank you to all the marshals, who all turned up, as this wouldn’t happen if it was not for them.”

To see our full gallery click here