AN Essex University student died from a suspected drug overdose following a night out, an inquest heard.

Kyle Remzi was found unresponsive at his student accommodation in Avon Way, Colchester having taken a cocktail of MDMA, Xanax and alcohol.

An inquest into his death was opened and adjourned by Essex Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray at Essex Coroner's Court earlier this week.

Coroner's Officer Malcolm Stewart said: "This 20-year-old gentleman was found unresponsive at his home address on January 21 following a night out with friends.

"Paramedics attended the scene and death was confirmed on arrival.

"A post mortem examination was undertaken by Dr Sen at Colchester General Hospital and toxicology was taken.

"He has given a provisional cause of death as multiple drug toxicity, including MDMA, Alprazolam and alcohol."

A full inquest is due to be heard on June 7.

A spokesman for Essex University paid tribute to the student.

Dr Nilüfer Demirkan-Jones, head of Essex Pathways, said: “Kyle was a student on our pathways to computer science course aiming to progress to a BSc Computer Science.

"He showed potential and we are deeply saddened by his death.”

Mr Remzi had lived on campus the previous year and was living in Greenstead at the time of his death.

A GoFundMe page was set up to help his family following his death and raised more than £4,600.