Firefighters have put out the third tumble dryer fire in the county in three weeks.

They were called to De Grey Road in Colchester at 8.05am and extinguished the fire by 8.20am. 

The fire was caused by faulty electrics in the device. 

Firefighters have re-issued safety advice to tumble dryer owners after previous fires in Cornflower Close, Stanway, and Fleetwood Avenue, Westcliff, on January 25.

This includes:

- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions

- Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended

- Clean the filters regularly to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff

- Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling

- Not to overload plug sockets. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.

You can also register your domestic appliances for free at who will contact you in case of any safety repairs or product recalls on your appliances.