Colchester United suffered a humiliating FA Cup exit this afternoon after losing 1-0 at home to National League South strugglers Oxford City.

Matt Patterson's strike in the opening seconds of the second half proved to be the winner for the visitors, who shocked their League Two opponents in front of a crowd of 1, 775 at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

It was a hugely disappointing result for Colchester and head coach John McGreal, who had been hoping to see his side maintain their momentum they had gained in the league over recent weeks.

McGreal selected an unchanged team and kept the same line-up that started their 3-1 win over Crewe Alexandra, the previous weekend.

There was a change on the bench though with midfielder Tom Lapslie returning from suspension and Nicke Kabamba, whose parent club Portsmouth did not want cup-tied, dropping out.

Kyel Reid horribly missed his kick 20 yards from goal after City had failed to deal with Ryan Jackson’s run and cross.

And five minutes later, Reid’s thunderbolt flew inches over the bar from the edge of the area after Drey Wright had done well to pick him out as the hosts looked to make an early breakthrough.

They came closest to scoring in the first half just before the half hour mark when Tom Eastman’s header hits the bar after Mikael Mandron had headed on Reid’s corner and Brandon Hanlan nodded the rebound wide.

But two minutes later, Matt Paterson’s fine free-kick from the edge of the area rattled the woodwork for City.

It was a let off for Colchester and they almost responded to the scare in the best way possible a minute later when Mandron blasted wastefully over from 14 yards, after Hanlan’s excellent run had set him up.

Mandron fired straight at Stevens as the clock ticked down in the first half but the visitors had the last word before the break when Paterson curled inches wide at the second attempt, after Frankie Kent had blocked his first effort in the area.

Colchester went in at the break goal-less and looking for a breakthrough in the second half.

But it was the visitors who took a shock lead, barely 30 seconds after the break.

After Loft had lost possession midway inside his own half, Dave Pearce was able to cross for Paterson to sweep home to put the National South side ahead.

Reid came close to levelling for Colchester, who introduced Craig Slater and Lewis Kinsella for Loft and Kent and changed to four at the back, in a bid to try and salvage an equaliser.

Slater's low effort was pushed away for a corner by keeper Stevens with 20 minutes remaining and Reid's left-foot strike flashed wide with four minutes remaining with the goal at his mercy, as the clock ticked down.

But despite more than five minutes of stoppage time being added at the end, there was no way back for Colchester as they slumped to an embarrassing defeat.