Colchester United's away-day woes continued after they were beaten 1-0 at Cambridge United this afternoon.

Uche Ikpeazu's fine strike just after the hour mark condemned the U's to their third successive away loss in League Two this season, as they failed to build on their 5-1 win over Forest Green Rovers last weekend.

Colchester head coach John McGreal named an unchanged side for their trip to play Cambridge.

Kyel Reid shrugged off an injury in order to start and Kane Vincent-Young retained his place at right-back following his impressive display against Forest Green, despite the return of Ryan Jackson who was on the bench.

Three of Colchester’s deadline day signings were among the substitutes – Brandon Comley, Nicke Kabamba and Sanmi Odelusi but there was no place on the bench for Brandon Hanlan or Ryan Inniss.

The first half was an even and scrappy affair at times, with both sides often looking nervous at the back and lacking the necessary quality needed to break down their opponents’ defence.

Colchester were unfortunate not to take an early lead when Sammie Szmodics was sent through on goal by Tom Lapslie’s defence-splitting pass, only for Cambridge keeper David Forde to race out of his area and clear the danger.

And seconds later, Forde was on hand to make an even smarter stop when he foiled Reid from point-blank range in the area.

Sam Walker's hands were warmed for the first time midway through the first half by Jevani Brown's low 20-yard strike, with the U's keeper more than equal to the effort.

Both sides threatened to break the deadlock, as the half-time whistle approached.

Cambridge defender Greg Taylor deflected Sean Murray’s strike just past his own post for a corner, midway through the first half.

And at the other end, Walker easily saved a close-range header from former Colchester youngster Medy Elito following Leon Legge’s flick-on while in stoppage-time, Ade Azeez’s close-range header dropped inches wide of the post with Walker seemingly beaten as the first half finished goal-less.

The U’s made a half-time change, with right-back Ryan Jackson on for Lewis Kinsella and Kane Vincent-Young switching to left-back as a result.

Just as they had done in the first half, they made a promising start to the second period and sent on new boy Sanmi Odelusi for his Colchester debut, minutes after half-time.

But Cambridge went close just after the hour when Ikpeazu's low strike was well saved by Walker down to his left, after good play by Brown to set him up.

And two minutes later, the home side were ahead.

Ikpeazu finished low and sweetly past Walker from 18 yards, after former Colchester striker Jabo Ibehre, a second-half substitute for Cambridge, had headed into his path.

Walker made a brilliant full-stretch save to push away Brown’s goalbound effort with 17 minutes remaining to keep Colchester in the game.

Mikael Mandron sidefooted wide after Tom Eastman had done well to pick him out in space and Colchester pressed for an equaliser in the closing stages but they were unable to salvage a draw.

Odelusi spurned a gilt-edged chance deep into stoppage-time when he headed wide unmarked from six yards, as Colchester were beaten.

Colchester United: Walker, Kinsella (sub Jackson, 46), Kent, Eastman, Vincent-Young, Wright (sub James, 70), Lapslie, Murray, Reid (sub Odelusi, 53), Szmodics, Mandron.

Substitutes (not used): Comley, Kabamba, Issa, Gilmartin.

Referee: Nick Kinseley (Essex).

Attendance: 4,511 (791 U's fans).