London League One North

COLCHESTER claimed their second successive bonus point victory after winning their first home game of the season.

Fullback Will Brown bagged a hat-trick of tries for the Blacks, who finished strongly to see off the Diss challenge at Mill Road.

Colchester fielded the same team that finished their last game at North Walsham aside from Kiwi newcomer Shelford Meads.

The utility back came in for his Colchester debut played in place of centre George Liversidge and his impact on the game was immediate.

Following a Diss kick-off, Meads broke through the visitors' defence and fed Brett Cutbush for a quick Kiwi try that fly- half David Higgins converted.

Diss soon retaliated using their bulky forwards to probe the home defence with number 8 Steve Hipwell in particular causing problems for the home defence.

But Colchester stood firm and their centres Meads and Dave Brennan often surged forward themselves, ably supported by the back row.

Brown caught the eye with his electric pace in attack and sound tackling in defence.

The game raged to and fro for the next 30 minutes, during which prop Joe Reid was replaced by Jerone Awesu and flanker Danny Whiteman also left the field after he was yellow-carded by referee Andy Green.

The impasse was broken when, following a successful Blacks scrum, the ball was moved to Meads to score his debut try and give the hosts a 14 -0 lead.

Spurred into action, Diss attacked the home line after their restart and flanker John Laurie crossed for a converted try.

But it was Colchester’s turn again soon after when Brennan cut through the defence and fed Brown, who sped through to claim his second try making the half-time score 19-7.

However, Colchester were unable to realise their obvious potential after the interval, making some basic errors.

At one stage when they were close to the Diss line, a long pass was intercepted which nearly led to a try at the other end. Diss nearly scored again shortly after this but knocked the ball forward over the hosts' line.

Their efforts were eventually rewarded when they moved the ball to right wing Fred Precious, who improved their score to 19-14.

Nevertheless, Colchester seemed to come alive in the final quarter and right wing Harry Barton’s try attempt in the right corner was disallowed before he was successful in the left moments later.

His fellow wing Crozier converted and suddenly the Blacks' tails were up, leading 26-14.

From the restart Brown speedily charged 50 metres into the opposition half leaving the defence in his wake.

He offloaded to Cutbush who put Crozier over for a brilliant converted try.

And Brown finished a virtuoso performance with another try in the dying moments of the game to claim a hat-trick and secure Colchester a bonus point victory.