We can't push the panic button, insists U's midfielder Wright

Gazette: Frustration - Colchester United midfielder David Wright shows his anguish during their 2-0 defeat at Notts County, on Saturday. Picture: WARREN PAGE Frustration - Colchester United midfielder David Wright shows his anguish during their 2-0 defeat at Notts County, on Saturday. Picture: WARREN PAGE

David Wright has insisted that Colchester United’s players are not panicking about their precarious position in the League One table.

But the experienced U’s midfielder admitted that they need to start picking up results as quickly as possible, if they are to ease the threat of relegation.

Colchester lie just three points above the bottom four, following their 2-0 defeat at fellow strugglers Notts County on Saturday.

Wright was part of the U’s squad that avoided relegation on the final day of last season.

And the former Ipswich Town utility man believes that experience can stand them in good stead, this time around.

Wright said: “It’s not like we’re panicking because we know that we have the quality.

“But we’re down there and in amongst it now and we need to be big enough and brave enough to realise that."

For five pages of coverage of Colchester United's game at Notts County, see Monday's Daily Gazette.

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:03am Mon 31 Mar 14

super waluigi says...

I agree.

Yes we are 3 points above the relegation zone, but that is a good thing right??? I struggle to understand why we would panic anymore than the 7 teams below us.
Also, we are only 3 points below 3 teams above us and 5 points off if mid table. Realistically, 12 teams could still be relegated and it will most likely be the teams that struggle mentally that fall.
I agree. Yes we are 3 points above the relegation zone, but that is a good thing right??? I struggle to understand why we would panic anymore than the 7 teams below us. Also, we are only 3 points below 3 teams above us and 5 points off if mid table. Realistically, 12 teams could still be relegated and it will most likely be the teams that struggle mentally that fall. super waluigi
  • Score: -29

11:11am Mon 31 Mar 14

BlueandWhiteBaz says...

The problem is we have negative momentum and are conceding goals at a rate of knots. If it goes on for the next game or two it will be panic big time. At least panic shows you care, because I haven't seen a great deal of caring from the Chairman.
The problem is we have negative momentum and are conceding goals at a rate of knots. If it goes on for the next game or two it will be panic big time. At least panic shows you care, because I haven't seen a great deal of caring from the Chairman. BlueandWhiteBaz
  • Score: 38

11:12am Mon 31 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

What was that song the Everly Brothers used to sing, oh I remember, All I Have To Do Is Dream? Nice to see that Dunne's delusional thoughts have finally reached the players and that they are all signing off the same hymn sheet? Many more lack lustre performance like Saturday and soon they will be chasing their backsides in the bottom three needing three points desperately!
What was that song the Everly Brothers used to sing, oh I remember, All I Have To Do Is Dream? Nice to see that Dunne's delusional thoughts have finally reached the players and that they are all signing off the same hymn sheet? Many more lack lustre performance like Saturday and soon they will be chasing their backsides in the bottom three needing three points desperately! totallyfootball
  • Score: 34

11:27am Mon 31 Mar 14

super waluigi says...

totallyfootball wrote:
What was that song the Everly Brothers used to sing, oh I remember, All I Have To Do Is Dream? Nice to see that Dunne's delusional thoughts have finally reached the players and that they are all signing off the same hymn sheet? Many more lack lustre performance like Saturday and soon they will be chasing their backsides in the bottom three needing three points desperately!
I find it hard to believe that you want Colchester to stay up this season. I really do.
[quote][p][bold]totallyfootball[/bold] wrote: What was that song the Everly Brothers used to sing, oh I remember, All I Have To Do Is Dream? Nice to see that Dunne's delusional thoughts have finally reached the players and that they are all signing off the same hymn sheet? Many more lack lustre performance like Saturday and soon they will be chasing their backsides in the bottom three needing three points desperately![/p][/quote]I find it hard to believe that you want Colchester to stay up this season. I really do. super waluigi
  • Score: -28

12:00pm Mon 31 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

Strangely enough I do Super W, I have lived most of my life in Colchester and was a regular at Layer Road from my early teens, I don't want it as much for me as I do for all those loyal supporters that every home game put their hands in their pockets and part with their hard earned cash. Then watch themselves get mugged off by a bunch of alleged players who most games go through the motions. And why, because their deluded manager does not put them under enough pressure to perform from the very first game of the season and makes off the cuff remarks like its all going t be OK?. I watched the game Saturday because I now spend a lot of time with football in Derby so it was a short jaunt across the country to Nottingham. I don't think you would even see a sense of urgency if any of them were on fire! If something does not change soon then it will be League two next year, look at Portsmouth if you want to know what happens and they could be heading to obscurity next season! If that happens to the U's then maybe some of you will see it for what it really is, a shambles! The U's to stay up but Dunne out.
Strangely enough I do Super W, I have lived most of my life in Colchester and was a regular at Layer Road from my early teens, I don't want it as much for me as I do for all those loyal supporters that every home game put their hands in their pockets and part with their hard earned cash. Then watch themselves get mugged off by a bunch of alleged players who most games go through the motions. And why, because their deluded manager does not put them under enough pressure to perform from the very first game of the season and makes off the cuff remarks like its all going t be OK?. I watched the game Saturday because I now spend a lot of time with football in Derby so it was a short jaunt across the country to Nottingham. I don't think you would even see a sense of urgency if any of them were on fire! If something does not change soon then it will be League two next year, look at Portsmouth if you want to know what happens and they could be heading to obscurity next season! If that happens to the U's then maybe some of you will see it for what it really is, a shambles! The U's to stay up but Dunne out. totallyfootball
  • Score: 38

12:04pm Mon 31 Mar 14

whoopie says...

Cheerio cheerio cheerio
Cheerio cheerio cheerio whoopie
  • Score: 18

12:12pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Noah4x4 says...

It is certainly less comfortable than it was before the Notts County defeat; but by not as big a margin as some allude. We were previously 4 points clear; which with superior goal difference made 5; which in a practical sense then meant 6 (e.g. as the chasing teams then needed two wins). But only one of this chasing pack (Notts County) won.

Stevenage; Tranmere and Carlisle all DROPPED 2 points and yet another game was chalked off. In essence we lost our freak mathematical + 2 advantage; but only dropped on absolute point (as we remain 3 clear).

However; we remain at least 3 points clear of six teams and the drop zone; and that still means 4 points allowing for our superior goal difference; and still with a game in hand (Wednesday); albeit that I can't see us getting too much from Peterborough away. OTHERS still need TWO games (1 win + 1 draw) simply to overtake us; and most have just six games left. One win for the U' now will hence make a massive difference to what others have to achieve (remember too some have to play each other and one or both must drop points). So I don't think it is time to panic.

But if we lose on Saturday (Tranmere H) and then lose to Stevenage (A); even I might be drinking from the same fountain as TotallyFootball. It's time to vocally get behind team and manager; and it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage in the next two weeks; as frankly they must now win; when two draws should still suffice for us; if we can squeeze two draws (or a win) from our final four games. But I must confess; it's getting a little more scary.
It is certainly less comfortable than it was before the Notts County defeat; but by not as big a margin as some allude. We were previously 4 points clear; which with superior goal difference made 5; which in a practical sense then meant 6 (e.g. as the chasing teams then needed two wins). But only one of this chasing pack (Notts County) won. Stevenage; Tranmere and Carlisle all DROPPED 2 points and yet another game was chalked off. In essence we lost our freak mathematical + 2 advantage; but only dropped on absolute point (as we remain 3 clear). However; we remain at least 3 points clear of six teams and the drop zone; and that still means 4 points allowing for our superior goal difference; and still with a game in hand (Wednesday); albeit that I can't see us getting too much from Peterborough away. OTHERS still need TWO games (1 win + 1 draw) simply to overtake us; and most have just six games left. One win for the U' now will hence make a massive difference to what others have to achieve (remember too some have to play each other and one or both must drop points). So I don't think it is time to panic. But if we lose on Saturday (Tranmere H) and then lose to Stevenage (A); even I might be drinking from the same fountain as TotallyFootball. It's time to vocally get behind team and manager; and it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage in the next two weeks; as frankly they must now win; when two draws should still suffice for us; if we can squeeze two draws (or a win) from our final four games. But I must confess; it's getting a little more scary. Noah4x4
  • Score: -43

12:19pm Mon 31 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

Noah it was scary a couple of weeks ago, now it downright frightening, I never want to see a manager sacked, but there are a few thousand people that deserve to be served better fayre at their table and should have been done at Christmas when his deluded point request was made, nothing has changed since then, just a gradual decline to where it is now.
Noah it was scary a couple of weeks ago, now it downright frightening, I never want to see a manager sacked, but there are a few thousand people that deserve to be served better fayre at their table and should have been done at Christmas when his deluded point request was made, nothing has changed since then, just a gradual decline to where it is now. totallyfootball
  • Score: 41

1:13pm Mon 31 Mar 14

BlueandWhiteBaz says...

Thought you had got lost in your ark Noah. Everybody talks about the necessary momentum at this stage of the season, so where is ours? Lost without a trace. There are lies, **** lies and statistics Noah. Give over do!.
Thought you had got lost in your ark Noah. Everybody talks about the necessary momentum at this stage of the season, so where is ours? Lost without a trace. There are lies, **** lies and statistics Noah. Give over do!. BlueandWhiteBaz
  • Score: 48

1:16pm Mon 31 Mar 14

super waluigi says...

BlueandWhiteBaz wrote:
Thought you had got lost in your ark Noah. Everybody talks about the necessary momentum at this stage of the season, so where is ours? Lost without a trace. There are lies, **** lies and statistics Noah. Give over do!.
So, every year you are wrong about us going down. Every year you predict relegation, yet every year you are wrong.
Are you happy being wrong? Do you want to be wrong again this season?
[quote][p][bold]BlueandWhiteBaz[/bold] wrote: Thought you had got lost in your ark Noah. Everybody talks about the necessary momentum at this stage of the season, so where is ours? Lost without a trace. There are lies, **** lies and statistics Noah. Give over do!.[/p][/quote]So, every year you are wrong about us going down. Every year you predict relegation, yet every year you are wrong. Are you happy being wrong? Do you want to be wrong again this season? super waluigi
  • Score: -30

2:01pm Mon 31 Mar 14

We're not singing anymore!!! says...

I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here.

For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season.

All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion.

If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!!
I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!! We're not singing anymore!!!
  • Score: 28

2:03pm Mon 31 Mar 14

We're not singing anymore!!! says...

We're not singing anymore!!! wrote:
I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!!
apologises for the spelling mistakes, I hit post before hitting spell check.
[quote][p][bold]We're not singing anymore!!![/bold] wrote: I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!![/p][/quote]apologises for the spelling mistakes, I hit post before hitting spell check. We're not singing anymore!!!
  • Score: 7

2:19pm Mon 31 Mar 14

BlueandWhiteBaz says...

Waluigi: Rubbish! I have never said we will be relegated, but I have raised the issue of the threat of being relegated, so could you please get your facts right. Currently, the threat of relegation is very real and you must be completely blind if you can't see it. The threat of relegation was also very real last season and before that I never bothered with this blog. For the past 2 seasons we have been a very poor side and you must be completely deluded not to see it. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to avoid the drop but in all honesty over the last two seasons we don't deserve it. One escape is fortunate but to allow the threat to persist year on year is nothing short of reckless abandon.
Waluigi: Rubbish! I have never said we will be relegated, but I have raised the issue of the threat of being relegated, so could you please get your facts right. Currently, the threat of relegation is very real and you must be completely blind if you can't see it. The threat of relegation was also very real last season and before that I never bothered with this blog. For the past 2 seasons we have been a very poor side and you must be completely deluded not to see it. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to avoid the drop but in all honesty over the last two seasons we don't deserve it. One escape is fortunate but to allow the threat to persist year on year is nothing short of reckless abandon. BlueandWhiteBaz
  • Score: 35

3:04pm Mon 31 Mar 14

super waluigi says...

We're not singing anymore!!! wrote:
I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here.

For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season.

All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion.

If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!!
How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay?
Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be?

I would love it if you could answer these questions.
[quote][p][bold]We're not singing anymore!!![/bold] wrote: I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!![/p][/quote]How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay? Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be? I would love it if you could answer these questions. super waluigi
  • Score: -36

5:19pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Swifty Morgan says...

super waluigi wrote:
We're not singing anymore!!! wrote: I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!!
How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay? Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be? I would love it if you could answer these questions.
I think you just need to watch them play to get the answers to the questions posed. The team on the pitch has a number of decent League One players who are performing way short of their best individually and collectively. When you consider some of the teams/players that have worn the colours in the past especially those in the pre-Parky days then you realise that there is potentially some real quality available but they are just not doing it on the pitch for whatever reason. Sure we've had some rough luck with hitting the woodwork etc but it goes with the territory when you are in and around the bottom four. With the quality of the players available (Sears, Ibhere, Massey, Dickson, Eastman, Magnus) we should be comfortably mid table building some momentum for the following season much like Leyton Orient have done. I certainly can't see Sears and Massey putting in a shift on a Tuesday night away at Morecambe next season should the worse happen and we get relegated and if that does happen, we're only one bad season away from obscurity - just look at the predicament Northampton are currently in.
[quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We're not singing anymore!!![/bold] wrote: I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!![/p][/quote]How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay? Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be? I would love it if you could answer these questions.[/p][/quote]I think you just need to watch them play to get the answers to the questions posed. The team on the pitch has a number of decent League One players who are performing way short of their best individually and collectively. When you consider some of the teams/players that have worn the colours in the past especially those in the pre-Parky days then you realise that there is potentially some real quality available but they are just not doing it on the pitch for whatever reason. Sure we've had some rough luck with hitting the woodwork etc but it goes with the territory when you are in and around the bottom four. With the quality of the players available (Sears, Ibhere, Massey, Dickson, Eastman, Magnus) we should be comfortably mid table building some momentum for the following season much like Leyton Orient have done. I certainly can't see Sears and Massey putting in a shift on a Tuesday night away at Morecambe next season should the worse happen and we get relegated and if that does happen, we're only one bad season away from obscurity - just look at the predicament Northampton are currently in. Swifty Morgan
  • Score: 34

5:32pm Mon 31 Mar 14

mojo51 says...

I am afraid our situation is due to poor management and although the panic button has not been pushed by myself my finger is hovering over it. Fans can easily see our failings yet for some reason the manager cannot. Our defence is poor, has been for two or three seasons but what do we do? We started by offering a contract to a player that left because he thought he was bigger than Col Utd and then when no club was interested in him we resigned him. For those deluded fans that feel he is the Rock, Just watch him for more than 5 minutes, he is just a very poor centre back. Should never have resigned him. Wilson is a very poor Captain and a hit or miss right back at the best of times. Dickson, what a signing he is, NOT! Thompson, now there is an exciting player as you never know how long he is going to be on the pitch, we used to have a guess how long it would be before he saw red. Over the past three seasons we have not managed to do the basics at the back and up front we have fired blanks for too long. As George Graham stated you start at the back first and gradually the rest will fall into place. Simples!
I am afraid our situation is due to poor management and although the panic button has not been pushed by myself my finger is hovering over it. Fans can easily see our failings yet for some reason the manager cannot. Our defence is poor, has been for two or three seasons but what do we do? We started by offering a contract to a player that left because he thought he was bigger than Col Utd and then when no club was interested in him we resigned him. For those deluded fans that feel he is the Rock, Just watch him for more than 5 minutes, he is just a very poor centre back. Should never have resigned him. Wilson is a very poor Captain and a hit or miss right back at the best of times. Dickson, what a signing he is, NOT! Thompson, now there is an exciting player as you never know how long he is going to be on the pitch, we used to have a guess how long it would be before he saw red. Over the past three seasons we have not managed to do the basics at the back and up front we have fired blanks for too long. As George Graham stated you start at the back first and gradually the rest will fall into place. Simples! mojo51
  • Score: 43

6:59pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Medicated Soap says...

Our form over the last two months:

20 Shrewsbury P 12 W 02 D 06 L 04 F 09 A 12 -3 12pts
21 Port Vale P 13 W 03 D 03 L 07 F 15 A 26 -11 12pts
22 Walsall P 11 W 02 D 04 L 05 F 09 A 15 -6 10pts
23 Carlisle P 12 W 02 D 04 L 06 F 08 A 14 -6 10pts
24 COLCHESTER P 13 W 02 D 03 L 08 F 09 A 19 -10 9pts

Unless we see a significant upturn in form we’ve experienced over the last 13 matches we WILL be relegated - it’s as simple as that!
Our form over the last two months: 20 Shrewsbury P 12 W 02 D 06 L 04 F 09 A 12 -3 12pts 21 Port Vale P 13 W 03 D 03 L 07 F 15 A 26 -11 12pts 22 Walsall P 11 W 02 D 04 L 05 F 09 A 15 -6 10pts 23 Carlisle P 12 W 02 D 04 L 06 F 08 A 14 -6 10pts 24 COLCHESTER P 13 W 02 D 03 L 08 F 09 A 19 -10 9pts Unless we see a significant upturn in form we’ve experienced over the last 13 matches we WILL be relegated - it’s as simple as that! Medicated Soap
  • Score: 54

7:19pm Mon 31 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

Medicated Soap wrote:
Our form over the last two months:

20 Shrewsbury P 12 W 02 D 06 L 04 F 09 A 12 -3 12pts
21 Port Vale P 13 W 03 D 03 L 07 F 15 A 26 -11 12pts
22 Walsall P 11 W 02 D 04 L 05 F 09 A 15 -6 10pts
23 Carlisle P 12 W 02 D 04 L 06 F 08 A 14 -6 10pts
24 COLCHESTER P 13 W 02 D 03 L 08 F 09 A 19 -10 9pts

Unless we see a significant upturn in form we’ve experienced over the last 13 matches we WILL be relegated - it’s as simple as that!
Not one for quoting past facts but these do spell it out and the way the side is currently performing (word used loosely) its thee in black and white, however tinted your glasses are, I would say in short that we are not the only ones who care about our club but can see through Joe Dunne's smoke and mirrors!
[quote][p][bold]Medicated Soap[/bold] wrote: Our form over the last two months: 20 Shrewsbury P 12 W 02 D 06 L 04 F 09 A 12 -3 12pts 21 Port Vale P 13 W 03 D 03 L 07 F 15 A 26 -11 12pts 22 Walsall P 11 W 02 D 04 L 05 F 09 A 15 -6 10pts 23 Carlisle P 12 W 02 D 04 L 06 F 08 A 14 -6 10pts 24 COLCHESTER P 13 W 02 D 03 L 08 F 09 A 19 -10 9pts Unless we see a significant upturn in form we’ve experienced over the last 13 matches we WILL be relegated - it’s as simple as that![/p][/quote]Not one for quoting past facts but these do spell it out and the way the side is currently performing (word used loosely) its thee in black and white, however tinted your glasses are, I would say in short that we are not the only ones who care about our club but can see through Joe Dunne's smoke and mirrors! totallyfootball
  • Score: 47

8:59pm Mon 31 Mar 14

We're not singing anymore!!! says...

super waluigi wrote:
We're not singing anymore!!! wrote:
I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here.

For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season.

All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion.

If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!!
How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay?
Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be?

I would love it if you could answer these questions.
Super.....If you have to ask these questions then clearly you've not been attending many home games this season or if you have, then you've been wearing your rose tinted glasses.

The formation and style of play has completely changed over the course of the season. We started by trying to play the passing game (along the lines of Barcelona but without the flair or finish), the last couple of months has been more Aidy Boothroyd style long ball and directly through the middle of the field.

The second half of the Bristol City game showed more of what our team are capable of, so how can they not play likely that more consistently ? Is it not the managers job to ensure they're motivated enough to play like that week in, week out !!!!! For Dunne to blame the traffic for one of our loses says it all for me.

With the team we have we should be between mid-table to top half (not in the top 8 though). We have players who have been and played at Arsenal and West Ham, they can't be that bad if those clubs saw something to have them on their books for a period of time. So we have the players but we don't have a manager who can get the best out of them.

Hope that answers your questions !!!!
[quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We're not singing anymore!!![/bold] wrote: I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!![/p][/quote]How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay? Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be? I would love it if you could answer these questions.[/p][/quote]Super.....If you have to ask these questions then clearly you've not been attending many home games this season or if you have, then you've been wearing your rose tinted glasses. The formation and style of play has completely changed over the course of the season. We started by trying to play the passing game (along the lines of Barcelona but without the flair or finish), the last couple of months has been more Aidy Boothroyd style long ball and directly through the middle of the field. The second half of the Bristol City game showed more of what our team are capable of, so how can they not play likely that more consistently ? Is it not the managers job to ensure they're motivated enough to play like that week in, week out !!!!! For Dunne to blame the traffic for one of our loses says it all for me. With the team we have we should be between mid-table to top half (not in the top 8 though). We have players who have been and played at Arsenal and West Ham, they can't be that bad if those clubs saw something to have them on their books for a period of time. So we have the players but we don't have a manager who can get the best out of them. Hope that answers your questions !!!! We're not singing anymore!!!
  • Score: 21

11:12pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Boris says...

Noah4x4 wrote:
It is certainly less comfortable than it was before the Notts County defeat; but by not as big a margin as some allude. We were previously 4 points clear; which with superior goal difference made 5; which in a practical sense then meant 6 (e.g. as the chasing teams then needed two wins). But only one of this chasing pack (Notts County) won.

Stevenage; Tranmere and Carlisle all DROPPED 2 points and yet another game was chalked off. In essence we lost our freak mathematical + 2 advantage; but only dropped on absolute point (as we remain 3 clear).

However; we remain at least 3 points clear of six teams and the drop zone; and that still means 4 points allowing for our superior goal difference; and still with a game in hand (Wednesday); albeit that I can't see us getting too much from Peterborough away. OTHERS still need TWO games (1 win + 1 draw) simply to overtake us; and most have just six games left. One win for the U' now will hence make a massive difference to what others have to achieve (remember too some have to play each other and one or both must drop points). So I don't think it is time to panic.

But if we lose on Saturday (Tranmere H) and then lose to Stevenage (A); even I might be drinking from the same fountain as TotallyFootball. It's time to vocally get behind team and manager; and it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage in the next two weeks; as frankly they must now win; when two draws should still suffice for us; if we can squeeze two draws (or a win) from our final four games. But I must confess; it's getting a little more scary.
Noah, like most others I feel you are too optimistic by half, but never mind that. What I object to is when you say "it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage".
No, it will not. if you enjoy seeing another team relegated then there is something the matter with you.
Obviously we have to stay up, and if that means taking points from other teams so that some of them get relegated, then so be it. But none of us should rejoice at another team's misfortune.
.
And we'd better get at least a point at Peterborough on Wednesday, for the teams which are struggling like us will mostly give us a very hard time.
[quote][p][bold]Noah4x4[/bold] wrote: It is certainly less comfortable than it was before the Notts County defeat; but by not as big a margin as some allude. We were previously 4 points clear; which with superior goal difference made 5; which in a practical sense then meant 6 (e.g. as the chasing teams then needed two wins). But only one of this chasing pack (Notts County) won. Stevenage; Tranmere and Carlisle all DROPPED 2 points and yet another game was chalked off. In essence we lost our freak mathematical + 2 advantage; but only dropped on absolute point (as we remain 3 clear). However; we remain at least 3 points clear of six teams and the drop zone; and that still means 4 points allowing for our superior goal difference; and still with a game in hand (Wednesday); albeit that I can't see us getting too much from Peterborough away. OTHERS still need TWO games (1 win + 1 draw) simply to overtake us; and most have just six games left. One win for the U' now will hence make a massive difference to what others have to achieve (remember too some have to play each other and one or both must drop points). So I don't think it is time to panic. But if we lose on Saturday (Tranmere H) and then lose to Stevenage (A); even I might be drinking from the same fountain as TotallyFootball. It's time to vocally get behind team and manager; and it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage in the next two weeks; as frankly they must now win; when two draws should still suffice for us; if we can squeeze two draws (or a win) from our final four games. But I must confess; it's getting a little more scary.[/p][/quote]Noah, like most others I feel you are too optimistic by half, but never mind that. What I object to is when you say "it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage". No, it will not. if you enjoy seeing another team relegated then there is something the matter with you. Obviously we have to stay up, and if that means taking points from other teams so that some of them get relegated, then so be it. But none of us should rejoice at another team's misfortune. . And we'd better get at least a point at Peterborough on Wednesday, for the teams which are struggling like us will mostly give us a very hard time. Boris
  • Score: 24

8:05am Tue 1 Apr 14

super waluigi says...

We're not singing anymore!!! wrote:
super waluigi wrote:
We're not singing anymore!!! wrote:
I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here.

For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season.

All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion.

If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!!
How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay?
Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be?

I would love it if you could answer these questions.
Super.....If you have to ask these questions then clearly you've not been attending many home games this season or if you have, then you've been wearing your rose tinted glasses.

The formation and style of play has completely changed over the course of the season. We started by trying to play the passing game (along the lines of Barcelona but without the flair or finish), the last couple of months has been more Aidy Boothroyd style long ball and directly through the middle of the field.

The second half of the Bristol City game showed more of what our team are capable of, so how can they not play likely that more consistently ? Is it not the managers job to ensure they're motivated enough to play like that week in, week out !!!!! For Dunne to blame the traffic for one of our loses says it all for me.

With the team we have we should be between mid-table to top half (not in the top 8 though). We have players who have been and played at Arsenal and West Ham, they can't be that bad if those clubs saw something to have them on their books for a period of time. So we have the players but we don't have a manager who can get the best out of them.

Hope that answers your questions !!!!
Ok, I understand where you are coming from. But I see it differently. In my mind, just because he has changed formations and tactics it does not mean he does not know what he is doing. There is every chance that if he had bought a slightly better player every time and changed his tactics to 'beat the oposition in front of him' then we might have won every game this year. And that is a true fact for every team from Man City, Crystal Palace or Northampton. But in reality, ever Alex Ferguson had dips. He had 3 seasons were they won nothing. The papers called him mad and that he had lost the plot. But in reality, he was in a transitional period.

Joe Dunne never signed Sears, he signed Vose. And that is a statistic that ensures trust from me.
[quote][p][bold]We're not singing anymore!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We're not singing anymore!!![/bold] wrote: I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!![/p][/quote]How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay? Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be? I would love it if you could answer these questions.[/p][/quote]Super.....If you have to ask these questions then clearly you've not been attending many home games this season or if you have, then you've been wearing your rose tinted glasses. The formation and style of play has completely changed over the course of the season. We started by trying to play the passing game (along the lines of Barcelona but without the flair or finish), the last couple of months has been more Aidy Boothroyd style long ball and directly through the middle of the field. The second half of the Bristol City game showed more of what our team are capable of, so how can they not play likely that more consistently ? Is it not the managers job to ensure they're motivated enough to play like that week in, week out !!!!! For Dunne to blame the traffic for one of our loses says it all for me. With the team we have we should be between mid-table to top half (not in the top 8 though). We have players who have been and played at Arsenal and West Ham, they can't be that bad if those clubs saw something to have them on their books for a period of time. So we have the players but we don't have a manager who can get the best out of them. Hope that answers your questions !!!![/p][/quote]Ok, I understand where you are coming from. But I see it differently. In my mind, just because he has changed formations and tactics it does not mean he does not know what he is doing. There is every chance that if he had bought a slightly better player every time and changed his tactics to 'beat the oposition in front of him' then we might have won every game this year. And that is a true fact for every team from Man City, Crystal Palace or Northampton. But in reality, ever Alex Ferguson had dips. He had 3 seasons were they won nothing. The papers called him mad and that he had lost the plot. But in reality, he was in a transitional period. Joe Dunne never signed Sears, he signed Vose. And that is a statistic that ensures trust from me. super waluigi
  • Score: -15

8:10am Tue 1 Apr 14

Noah4x4 says...

Boris wrote:
Noah4x4 wrote:
It is certainly less comfortable than it was before the Notts County defeat; but by not as big a margin as some allude. We were previously 4 points clear; which with superior goal difference made 5; which in a practical sense then meant 6 (e.g. as the chasing teams then needed two wins). But only one of this chasing pack (Notts County) won.

Stevenage; Tranmere and Carlisle all DROPPED 2 points and yet another game was chalked off. In essence we lost our freak mathematical + 2 advantage; but only dropped on absolute point (as we remain 3 clear).

However; we remain at least 3 points clear of six teams and the drop zone; and that still means 4 points allowing for our superior goal difference; and still with a game in hand (Wednesday); albeit that I can't see us getting too much from Peterborough away. OTHERS still need TWO games (1 win + 1 draw) simply to overtake us; and most have just six games left. One win for the U' now will hence make a massive difference to what others have to achieve (remember too some have to play each other and one or both must drop points). So I don't think it is time to panic.

But if we lose on Saturday (Tranmere H) and then lose to Stevenage (A); even I might be drinking from the same fountain as TotallyFootball. It's time to vocally get behind team and manager; and it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage in the next two weeks; as frankly they must now win; when two draws should still suffice for us; if we can squeeze two draws (or a win) from our final four games. But I must confess; it's getting a little more scary.
Noah, like most others I feel you are too optimistic by half, but never mind that. What I object to is when you say "it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage".
No, it will not. if you enjoy seeing another team relegated then there is something the matter with you.
Obviously we have to stay up, and if that means taking points from other teams so that some of them get relegated, then so be it. But none of us should rejoice at another team's misfortune.
.
And we'd better get at least a point at Peterborough on Wednesday, for the teams which are struggling like us will mostly give us a very hard time.
Begs the question; will it therefore be MORE fun if Tranmere and Stevenage instead relegate the U's? Res ipsa loquitor!

It probably will be for those in here that want to say "told you so". But the U's won't be relegated. However; they have spent more years yo-yoing in the bottom tiers than any other club; 27 managers in 55 years; 6 managers since we moved to WHCS; never allowing sufficient time for ANY manager (except Parky) to complete any desirable transformation. Even within Parliament; we allow the incumbents four years to complete the changes in their manifesto.

It’s always the same old rubbish spouted in here; “players lack of effort” (when the sports scientists will confirm otherwise); “falling gates” (not true); “the manager should play two up” (but he has done so in a 4-1-2-2 diamond); “not value for money” (but the cheapest adult seat is no more expensive than at Braintree/Conference
). So much is inaccurate that it makes me wonder if some of you ever attend any games.

The wisest fans understand that because of Financial Fair Play Rules until the next transfer window; Joe Dunne is UNABLE TO REPLACE ANY OF THE JOHN WARD signings that WE ALL EQUALLY CRITICISE and the boys from the academy are simply too immature. By all means sack him next October if it is still not working; but calling for managerial change prior to that is ridiculous. We just have to be accept that we have been beaten by teams with a current squad of better players; and that the manager has been trying to get the best from ours; and I doubt if Jose Murinho would have done any better than Jose Dunne with what we have.

I will travel AWAY to Peterborough; Stevenage; Crewe and Walsall with the real fans; and sing “my heart out for the lads”; when ‘Clan Negative’ will be sat in their armchairs (organised 4-4-2); itching to moan about the performance when they haven’t even watched a ball be kicked. Pah..."loyal supporters".
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Noah4x4[/bold] wrote: It is certainly less comfortable than it was before the Notts County defeat; but by not as big a margin as some allude. We were previously 4 points clear; which with superior goal difference made 5; which in a practical sense then meant 6 (e.g. as the chasing teams then needed two wins). But only one of this chasing pack (Notts County) won. Stevenage; Tranmere and Carlisle all DROPPED 2 points and yet another game was chalked off. In essence we lost our freak mathematical + 2 advantage; but only dropped on absolute point (as we remain 3 clear). However; we remain at least 3 points clear of six teams and the drop zone; and that still means 4 points allowing for our superior goal difference; and still with a game in hand (Wednesday); albeit that I can't see us getting too much from Peterborough away. OTHERS still need TWO games (1 win + 1 draw) simply to overtake us; and most have just six games left. One win for the U' now will hence make a massive difference to what others have to achieve (remember too some have to play each other and one or both must drop points). So I don't think it is time to panic. But if we lose on Saturday (Tranmere H) and then lose to Stevenage (A); even I might be drinking from the same fountain as TotallyFootball. It's time to vocally get behind team and manager; and it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage in the next two weeks; as frankly they must now win; when two draws should still suffice for us; if we can squeeze two draws (or a win) from our final four games. But I must confess; it's getting a little more scary.[/p][/quote]Noah, like most others I feel you are too optimistic by half, but never mind that. What I object to is when you say "it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage". No, it will not. if you enjoy seeing another team relegated then there is something the matter with you. Obviously we have to stay up, and if that means taking points from other teams so that some of them get relegated, then so be it. But none of us should rejoice at another team's misfortune. . And we'd better get at least a point at Peterborough on Wednesday, for the teams which are struggling like us will mostly give us a very hard time.[/p][/quote]Begs the question; will it therefore be MORE fun if Tranmere and Stevenage instead relegate the U's? Res ipsa loquitor! It probably will be for those in here that want to say "told you so". But the U's won't be relegated. However; they have spent more years yo-yoing in the bottom tiers than any other club; 27 managers in 55 years; 6 managers since we moved to WHCS; never allowing sufficient time for ANY manager (except Parky) to complete any desirable transformation. Even within Parliament; we allow the incumbents four years to complete the changes in their manifesto. It’s always the same old rubbish spouted in here; “players lack of effort” (when the sports scientists will confirm otherwise); “falling gates” (not true); “the manager should play two up” (but he has done so in a 4-1-2-2 diamond); “not value for money” (but the cheapest adult seat is no more expensive than at Braintree/Conference ). So much is inaccurate that it makes me wonder if some of you ever attend any games. The wisest fans understand that because of Financial Fair Play Rules until the next transfer window; Joe Dunne is UNABLE TO REPLACE ANY OF THE JOHN WARD signings that WE ALL EQUALLY CRITICISE and the boys from the academy are simply too immature. By all means sack him next October if it is still not working; but calling for managerial change prior to that is ridiculous. We just have to be accept that we have been beaten by teams with a current squad of better players; and that the manager has been trying to get the best from ours; and I doubt if Jose Murinho would have done any better than Jose Dunne with what we have. I will travel AWAY to Peterborough; Stevenage; Crewe and Walsall with the real fans; and sing “my heart out for the lads”; when ‘Clan Negative’ will be sat in their armchairs (organised 4-4-2); itching to moan about the performance when they haven’t even watched a ball be kicked. Pah..."loyal supporters". Noah4x4
  • Score: -38

8:14am Tue 1 Apr 14

Noah4x4 says...

Correction; 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.
Correction; 4-1-2-1-2 diamond. Noah4x4
  • Score: -18

9:27am Tue 1 Apr 14

We're not singing anymore!!! says...

super waluigi wrote:
We're not singing anymore!!! wrote:
super waluigi wrote:
We're not singing anymore!!! wrote: I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!!
How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay? Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be? I would love it if you could answer these questions.
Super.....If you have to ask these questions then clearly you've not been attending many home games this season or if you have, then you've been wearing your rose tinted glasses. The formation and style of play has completely changed over the course of the season. We started by trying to play the passing game (along the lines of Barcelona but without the flair or finish), the last couple of months has been more Aidy Boothroyd style long ball and directly through the middle of the field. The second half of the Bristol City game showed more of what our team are capable of, so how can they not play likely that more consistently ? Is it not the managers job to ensure they're motivated enough to play like that week in, week out !!!!! For Dunne to blame the traffic for one of our loses says it all for me. With the team we have we should be between mid-table to top half (not in the top 8 though). We have players who have been and played at Arsenal and West Ham, they can't be that bad if those clubs saw something to have them on their books for a period of time. So we have the players but we don't have a manager who can get the best out of them. Hope that answers your questions !!!!
Ok, I understand where you are coming from. But I see it differently. In my mind, just because he has changed formations and tactics it does not mean he does not know what he is doing. There is every chance that if he had bought a slightly better player every time and changed his tactics to 'beat the oposition in front of him' then we might have won every game this year. And that is a true fact for every team from Man City, Crystal Palace or Northampton. But in reality, ever Alex Ferguson had dips. He had 3 seasons were they won nothing. The papers called him mad and that he had lost the plot. But in reality, he was in a transitional period. Joe Dunne never signed Sears, he signed Vose. And that is a statistic that ensures trust from me.
The good thing about football is the different opinions. We might not agree but I respect that you're entitled to yours Super.
[quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We're not singing anymore!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]super waluigi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We're not singing anymore!!![/bold] wrote: I really do commend you Noah and Super on remaining so optomistic. I honestly believe that you are the minority in that category. With most fans using their feet to do the talking, the dwindling attendences show how unsatisfied the majority of the fans feel. Others expressing their views on here. For most of the season I've tried to remain optomistic and even allow Dunne his excuses. For a long time we had a few injury problems but in the last couple of months that has certainly eased. Now with nearly a full squad to choose from, Dunne still doesn't seem to know what the best formation or syle of play is. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players (it's a shame that his desire for the club doesn't rub off on them). We've had to endue games with no shots on target (or very few) and losing to teams who quite frankly won't have had an easier game all season. All the fans only want the best, All the fans want Colchester United to stay up. And all of the fans want to see us become as successful as possible for a club of our size. What some of us won't tollirate is being taken for granted. Sometimes this season I would rather have seen 11 fans playing, because at least they would play with a bit of pride and passion. If we go down I don't think any fan will get satifaction from it. However, a few of them might say 'I told you so'. Beyond hope I think the majority would love for both of you to have those gloating rights!!!![/p][/quote]How do you know that Dunne does not know his best formation? How do you know Dunne cannot motivate his players? Are you going on hearsay? Why do you think Colchester are under performing? Where do you think a tolerable league/position for Colchester would be? I would love it if you could answer these questions.[/p][/quote]Super.....If you have to ask these questions then clearly you've not been attending many home games this season or if you have, then you've been wearing your rose tinted glasses. The formation and style of play has completely changed over the course of the season. We started by trying to play the passing game (along the lines of Barcelona but without the flair or finish), the last couple of months has been more Aidy Boothroyd style long ball and directly through the middle of the field. The second half of the Bristol City game showed more of what our team are capable of, so how can they not play likely that more consistently ? Is it not the managers job to ensure they're motivated enough to play like that week in, week out !!!!! For Dunne to blame the traffic for one of our loses says it all for me. With the team we have we should be between mid-table to top half (not in the top 8 though). We have players who have been and played at Arsenal and West Ham, they can't be that bad if those clubs saw something to have them on their books for a period of time. So we have the players but we don't have a manager who can get the best out of them. Hope that answers your questions !!!![/p][/quote]Ok, I understand where you are coming from. But I see it differently. In my mind, just because he has changed formations and tactics it does not mean he does not know what he is doing. There is every chance that if he had bought a slightly better player every time and changed his tactics to 'beat the oposition in front of him' then we might have won every game this year. And that is a true fact for every team from Man City, Crystal Palace or Northampton. But in reality, ever Alex Ferguson had dips. He had 3 seasons were they won nothing. The papers called him mad and that he had lost the plot. But in reality, he was in a transitional period. Joe Dunne never signed Sears, he signed Vose. And that is a statistic that ensures trust from me.[/p][/quote]The good thing about football is the different opinions. We might not agree but I respect that you're entitled to yours Super. We're not singing anymore!!!
  • Score: 12

9:43am Tue 1 Apr 14

We're not singing anymore!!! says...

Noah4x4 wrote:
Boris wrote:
Noah4x4 wrote: It is certainly less comfortable than it was before the Notts County defeat; but by not as big a margin as some allude. We were previously 4 points clear; which with superior goal difference made 5; which in a practical sense then meant 6 (e.g. as the chasing teams then needed two wins). But only one of this chasing pack (Notts County) won. Stevenage; Tranmere and Carlisle all DROPPED 2 points and yet another game was chalked off. In essence we lost our freak mathematical + 2 advantage; but only dropped on absolute point (as we remain 3 clear). However; we remain at least 3 points clear of six teams and the drop zone; and that still means 4 points allowing for our superior goal difference; and still with a game in hand (Wednesday); albeit that I can't see us getting too much from Peterborough away. OTHERS still need TWO games (1 win + 1 draw) simply to overtake us; and most have just six games left. One win for the U' now will hence make a massive difference to what others have to achieve (remember too some have to play each other and one or both must drop points). So I don't think it is time to panic. But if we lose on Saturday (Tranmere H) and then lose to Stevenage (A); even I might be drinking from the same fountain as TotallyFootball. It's time to vocally get behind team and manager; and it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage in the next two weeks; as frankly they must now win; when two draws should still suffice for us; if we can squeeze two draws (or a win) from our final four games. But I must confess; it's getting a little more scary.
Noah, like most others I feel you are too optimistic by half, but never mind that. What I object to is when you say "it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage". No, it will not. if you enjoy seeing another team relegated then there is something the matter with you. Obviously we have to stay up, and if that means taking points from other teams so that some of them get relegated, then so be it. But none of us should rejoice at another team's misfortune. . And we'd better get at least a point at Peterborough on Wednesday, for the teams which are struggling like us will mostly give us a very hard time.
Begs the question; will it therefore be MORE fun if Tranmere and Stevenage instead relegate the U's? Res ipsa loquitor! It probably will be for those in here that want to say "told you so". But the U's won't be relegated. However; they have spent more years yo-yoing in the bottom tiers than any other club; 27 managers in 55 years; 6 managers since we moved to WHCS; never allowing sufficient time for ANY manager (except Parky) to complete any desirable transformation. Even within Parliament; we allow the incumbents four years to complete the changes in their manifesto. It’s always the same old rubbish spouted in here; “players lack of effort” (when the sports scientists will confirm otherwise); “falling gates” (not true); “the manager should play two up” (but he has done so in a 4-1-2-2 diamond); “not value for money” (but the cheapest adult seat is no more expensive than at Braintree/Conference ). So much is inaccurate that it makes me wonder if some of you ever attend any games. The wisest fans understand that because of Financial Fair Play Rules until the next transfer window; Joe Dunne is UNABLE TO REPLACE ANY OF THE JOHN WARD signings that WE ALL EQUALLY CRITICISE and the boys from the academy are simply too immature. By all means sack him next October if it is still not working; but calling for managerial change prior to that is ridiculous. We just have to be accept that we have been beaten by teams with a current squad of better players; and that the manager has been trying to get the best from ours; and I doubt if Jose Murinho would have done any better than Jose Dunne with what we have. I will travel AWAY to Peterborough; Stevenage; Crewe and Walsall with the real fans; and sing “my heart out for the lads”; when ‘Clan Negative’ will be sat in their armchairs (organised 4-4-2); itching to moan about the performance when they haven’t even watched a ball be kicked. Pah..."loyal supporters".
For someone who likes their facts I'm surprised at some of your comments.

The U's won't be relegated, didn't realise that was a FACT (although I certainly hope you're right)

Falling Gates (Not True) - According to the footballgroundguide.
com
2012-2013 Average Attendance 3,530
2011-2012 Average Attendance 3,865
2010-2011 Average Attendance 4,247

Numbers going down means gates falling (FACT)

Being beaten by teams currently with a better squad (matter of opinion, not a fact).

'Clan Negative' more like 'Clan Realistic' practically FACT

I don't generally comment on games that I don't attend. But by thinking that because you may go to games home and away, doesn't make you any more of a loyal supporter than those whose voice their concerns on here. Maybe not everyone has the time and money that you have to follow the team home and away!!
[quote][p][bold]Noah4x4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Noah4x4[/bold] wrote: It is certainly less comfortable than it was before the Notts County defeat; but by not as big a margin as some allude. We were previously 4 points clear; which with superior goal difference made 5; which in a practical sense then meant 6 (e.g. as the chasing teams then needed two wins). But only one of this chasing pack (Notts County) won. Stevenage; Tranmere and Carlisle all DROPPED 2 points and yet another game was chalked off. In essence we lost our freak mathematical + 2 advantage; but only dropped on absolute point (as we remain 3 clear). However; we remain at least 3 points clear of six teams and the drop zone; and that still means 4 points allowing for our superior goal difference; and still with a game in hand (Wednesday); albeit that I can't see us getting too much from Peterborough away. OTHERS still need TWO games (1 win + 1 draw) simply to overtake us; and most have just six games left. One win for the U' now will hence make a massive difference to what others have to achieve (remember too some have to play each other and one or both must drop points). So I don't think it is time to panic. But if we lose on Saturday (Tranmere H) and then lose to Stevenage (A); even I might be drinking from the same fountain as TotallyFootball. It's time to vocally get behind team and manager; and it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage in the next two weeks; as frankly they must now win; when two draws should still suffice for us; if we can squeeze two draws (or a win) from our final four games. But I must confess; it's getting a little more scary.[/p][/quote]Noah, like most others I feel you are too optimistic by half, but never mind that. What I object to is when you say "it will be really good fun relegating both Tranmere and Stevenage". No, it will not. if you enjoy seeing another team relegated then there is something the matter with you. Obviously we have to stay up, and if that means taking points from other teams so that some of them get relegated, then so be it. But none of us should rejoice at another team's misfortune. . And we'd better get at least a point at Peterborough on Wednesday, for the teams which are struggling like us will mostly give us a very hard time.[/p][/quote]Begs the question; will it therefore be MORE fun if Tranmere and Stevenage instead relegate the U's? Res ipsa loquitor! It probably will be for those in here that want to say "told you so". But the U's won't be relegated. However; they have spent more years yo-yoing in the bottom tiers than any other club; 27 managers in 55 years; 6 managers since we moved to WHCS; never allowing sufficient time for ANY manager (except Parky) to complete any desirable transformation. Even within Parliament; we allow the incumbents four years to complete the changes in their manifesto. It’s always the same old rubbish spouted in here; “players lack of effort” (when the sports scientists will confirm otherwise); “falling gates” (not true); “the manager should play two up” (but he has done so in a 4-1-2-2 diamond); “not value for money” (but the cheapest adult seat is no more expensive than at Braintree/Conference ). So much is inaccurate that it makes me wonder if some of you ever attend any games. The wisest fans understand that because of Financial Fair Play Rules until the next transfer window; Joe Dunne is UNABLE TO REPLACE ANY OF THE JOHN WARD signings that WE ALL EQUALLY CRITICISE and the boys from the academy are simply too immature. By all means sack him next October if it is still not working; but calling for managerial change prior to that is ridiculous. We just have to be accept that we have been beaten by teams with a current squad of better players; and that the manager has been trying to get the best from ours; and I doubt if Jose Murinho would have done any better than Jose Dunne with what we have. I will travel AWAY to Peterborough; Stevenage; Crewe and Walsall with the real fans; and sing “my heart out for the lads”; when ‘Clan Negative’ will be sat in their armchairs (organised 4-4-2); itching to moan about the performance when they haven’t even watched a ball be kicked. Pah..."loyal supporters".[/p][/quote]For someone who likes their facts I'm surprised at some of your comments. The U's won't be relegated, didn't realise that was a FACT (although I certainly hope you're right) Falling Gates (Not True) - According to the footballgroundguide. com 2012-2013 Average Attendance 3,530 2011-2012 Average Attendance 3,865 2010-2011 Average Attendance 4,247 Numbers going down means gates falling (FACT) Being beaten by teams currently with a better squad (matter of opinion, not a fact). 'Clan Negative' more like 'Clan Realistic' practically FACT I don't generally comment on games that I don't attend. But by thinking that because you may go to games home and away, doesn't make you any more of a loyal supporter than those whose voice their concerns on here. Maybe not everyone has the time and money that you have to follow the team home and away!! We're not singing anymore!!!
  • Score: 33

9:55am Tue 1 Apr 14

seikothrill says...

All these comments but ere is the one I bet is correct:

We will NOT be relegated

It has been another season of under performance by manager and players and painful to watch but I have said from day one of the season we will NOT be relegated and I stick with that prediction.

We are supporters of the club and although we want the best we must stick together through the good and bad times.

If we are relegated feel free to bring back this statement and poke fun at me
All these comments but ere is the one I bet is correct: We will NOT be relegated It has been another season of under performance by manager and players and painful to watch but I have said from day one of the season we will NOT be relegated and I stick with that prediction. We are supporters of the club and although we want the best we must stick together through the good and bad times. If we are relegated feel free to bring back this statement and poke fun at me seikothrill
  • Score: -26

9:57am Tue 1 Apr 14

seikothrill says...

seikothrill wrote:
All these comments but ere is the one I bet is correct:

We will NOT be relegated

It has been another season of under performance by manager and players and painful to watch but I have said from day one of the season we will NOT be relegated and I stick with that prediction.

We are supporters of the club and although we want the best we must stick together through the good and bad times.

If we are relegated feel free to bring back this statement and poke fun at me
Apologies - 'All these comments but ere is the one I bet is correct' should actually read 'All these comments but here is the one I bet is correct'
[quote][p][bold]seikothrill[/bold] wrote: All these comments but ere is the one I bet is correct: We will NOT be relegated It has been another season of under performance by manager and players and painful to watch but I have said from day one of the season we will NOT be relegated and I stick with that prediction. We are supporters of the club and although we want the best we must stick together through the good and bad times. If we are relegated feel free to bring back this statement and poke fun at me[/p][/quote]Apologies - 'All these comments but ere is the one I bet is correct' should actually read 'All these comments but here is the one I bet is correct' seikothrill
  • Score: -14

2:14pm Tue 1 Apr 14

❄Nicky says...

What has the poor semicolon ever done to Noah4x4? #crimesagainstgramma
r
What has the poor semicolon ever done to Noah4x4? #crimesagainstgramma r ❄Nicky
  • Score: 27

11:19pm Tue 1 Apr 14

Noah4x4 says...

We're not singing anymore...How can you argue that "gates are falling" when you have not even offered readers the current season's data!!!!!.

The correct data is;
2013-14 3590
2012-13 3529......isnt that a tad lower?
2011-12 3865
2010-11 4246

The average is hence marginally UP on last season; and the number of HOME support fans is pretty constant. It is the far fewer number of away fans that have caused the apparent trend from 2010-12 that you suggest. If anything; home sales are increasing. The average of our last four seasons whilst in Division One at Layer Road is also circa 3,500. Frankly it is no real change.

In these last two seasons; we didn't have remotely as many local derbies (except Orient); as fixtures against Southend; Charlton; Daggers all dropped out of the equation; and also some hugely AWAY supported teams; like Sheffield Wednesday; Southampton; Brighton (etc) that brought THE highest crowds in earlier seasons have not visited WHCS. Then sides in 2013-14 (this season) that ought have have brought big away support (Sheff Utd; Bradford etc) didn't because the original Saturday games were rearranged for a Tuesday night. If you want to undermine me; please don't talk rot and instead use accurate and credible data

Nicky #crimesagainstgramme
r whatever does a semi-colon and hash-tag (whatever that is?) have to do with a debate about football?
We're not singing anymore...How can you argue that "gates are falling" when you have not even offered readers the current season's data!!!!!. The correct data is; 2013-14 3590 2012-13 3529......isnt that a tad lower? 2011-12 3865 2010-11 4246 The average is hence marginally UP on last season; and the number of HOME support fans is pretty constant. It is the far fewer number of away fans that have caused the apparent trend from 2010-12 that you suggest. If anything; home sales are increasing. The average of our last four seasons whilst in Division One at Layer Road is also circa 3,500. Frankly it is no real change. In these last two seasons; we didn't have remotely as many local derbies (except Orient); as fixtures against Southend; Charlton; Daggers all dropped out of the equation; and also some hugely AWAY supported teams; like Sheffield Wednesday; Southampton; Brighton (etc) that brought THE highest crowds in earlier seasons have not visited WHCS. Then sides in 2013-14 (this season) that ought have have brought big away support (Sheff Utd; Bradford etc) didn't because the original Saturday games were rearranged for a Tuesday night. If you want to undermine me; please don't talk rot and instead use accurate and credible data Nicky #crimesagainstgramme r whatever does a semi-colon and hash-tag (whatever that is?) have to do with a debate about football? Noah4x4
  • Score: -25

12:46am Wed 2 Apr 14

Medicated Soap says...

LOL The insignificant increase in the average attendance by 61 people can be entirely accounted for by the Wolves game - a marquee game which masks the actual trend of falling attendances! Besides after the Tranmere game the average attendance for this season will be marginally BELOW last season’s figure; talk about clutching at straws!
LOL The insignificant increase in the average attendance by 61 people can be entirely accounted for by the Wolves game - a marquee game which masks the actual trend of falling attendances! Besides after the Tranmere game the average attendance for this season will be marginally BELOW last season’s figure; talk about clutching at straws! Medicated Soap
  • Score: 33

9:38am Wed 2 Apr 14

We're not singing anymore!!! says...

Noah4x4 wrote:
We're not singing anymore...How can you argue that "gates are falling" when you have not even offered readers the current season's data!!!!!. The correct data is; 2013-14 3590 2012-13 3529......isnt that a tad lower? 2011-12 3865 2010-11 4246 The average is hence marginally UP on last season; and the number of HOME support fans is pretty constant. It is the far fewer number of away fans that have caused the apparent trend from 2010-12 that you suggest. If anything; home sales are increasing. The average of our last four seasons whilst in Division One at Layer Road is also circa 3,500. Frankly it is no real change. In these last two seasons; we didn't have remotely as many local derbies (except Orient); as fixtures against Southend; Charlton; Daggers all dropped out of the equation; and also some hugely AWAY supported teams; like Sheffield Wednesday; Southampton; Brighton (etc) that brought THE highest crowds in earlier seasons have not visited WHCS. Then sides in 2013-14 (this season) that ought have have brought big away support (Sheff Utd; Bradford etc) didn't because the original Saturday games were rearranged for a Tuesday night. If you want to undermine me; please don't talk rot and instead use accurate and credible data Nicky #crimesagainstgramme r whatever does a semi-colon and hash-tag (whatever that is?) have to do with a debate about football?
Noah,

The numbers I quoted were based on a full season, that's why I didn't include the 2013 - 2014 numbers. As an Assistant Accountant I know how to show numbers in a postive light.

Based on what you're saying for 2013-14, you're taking the average over 20 games and not 23. This could significently reduce your number for 2013 - 2014 once the season is complete taking into consideration that the average gate for the last 3 home games is 2,973. Not undermining you, just FACT!!!!

You mention about not having local derbies for fixtures and hugely away supported teams, but take into account the number of free tickets the club have given away this season to local schools and other kids clubs. I'm sure that would reduce the number this season too. It's amazing how you can inflate your attendence without showing what revenue is being generated!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Noah4x4[/bold] wrote: We're not singing anymore...How can you argue that "gates are falling" when you have not even offered readers the current season's data!!!!!. The correct data is; 2013-14 3590 2012-13 3529......isnt that a tad lower? 2011-12 3865 2010-11 4246 The average is hence marginally UP on last season; and the number of HOME support fans is pretty constant. It is the far fewer number of away fans that have caused the apparent trend from 2010-12 that you suggest. If anything; home sales are increasing. The average of our last four seasons whilst in Division One at Layer Road is also circa 3,500. Frankly it is no real change. In these last two seasons; we didn't have remotely as many local derbies (except Orient); as fixtures against Southend; Charlton; Daggers all dropped out of the equation; and also some hugely AWAY supported teams; like Sheffield Wednesday; Southampton; Brighton (etc) that brought THE highest crowds in earlier seasons have not visited WHCS. Then sides in 2013-14 (this season) that ought have have brought big away support (Sheff Utd; Bradford etc) didn't because the original Saturday games were rearranged for a Tuesday night. If you want to undermine me; please don't talk rot and instead use accurate and credible data Nicky #crimesagainstgramme r whatever does a semi-colon and hash-tag (whatever that is?) have to do with a debate about football?[/p][/quote]Noah, The numbers I quoted were based on a full season, that's why I didn't include the 2013 - 2014 numbers. As an Assistant Accountant I know how to show numbers in a postive light. Based on what you're saying for 2013-14, you're taking the average over 20 games and not 23. This could significently reduce your number for 2013 - 2014 once the season is complete taking into consideration that the average gate for the last 3 home games is 2,973. Not undermining you, just FACT!!!! You mention about not having local derbies for fixtures and hugely away supported teams, but take into account the number of free tickets the club have given away this season to local schools and other kids clubs. I'm sure that would reduce the number this season too. It's amazing how you can inflate your attendence without showing what revenue is being generated!!!! We're not singing anymore!!!
  • Score: 17

12:10am Fri 4 Apr 14

Noah4x4 says...

As a marketing director of a FTSE 250 company I once employed an army of senior accountants and if I wanted 'current trend' data I certainly wouldn't accept last year's data. What practical use is that?

What twaddle too about "the last three home games being an average of only 2,973" proving that "gates are falling". 66% of those three were on a Tuesday, hence totally incomparable with ANY Saturdays. The actual data was Bradford 2,605 (Tuesday); Shrewsbury 2,508 (Tuesday); and then Bristol City 3,805. (Saturday) so given that the latter is the highest; why are you not arguing that gates are rising? Of course you shouldn't as the sample is too small and biased towards midweek; so why criticise my vastly greater statistically significant sample?

Now let's go back to our first Tuesday league fixture on 26 November (a fantastic 3-1 win over MK Dons when the U's were actually doing OK) and the crowd was roughly the same; a typical Tuesday 2,597. Our next Tuesday was the Blades 3,008 (boosted by more away fans) but had that been a Saturday we might have topped 5,000 given their traveling hoards. The following Saturday; 4,426 (great win over Coventry). Then back to a Tuesday (Rotherham), and its again the same typical 2,655.I would agree Tuesday gates are static, but not falling. There is inevitably greater variance on a Saturday, but typically always over 3,400. One cannot legitimately compare Tuesdays to weekends (example; too many commute to London and can't get back in time); The U's have also always given away loads of tickets to school kids and also army tickets too; so that is a red herring. If you want to undermine my data, please at least use credible data.
As a marketing director of a FTSE 250 company I once employed an army of senior accountants and if I wanted 'current trend' data I certainly wouldn't accept last year's data. What practical use is that? What twaddle too about "the last three home games being an average of only 2,973" proving that "gates are falling". 66% of those three were on a Tuesday, hence totally incomparable with ANY Saturdays. The actual data was Bradford 2,605 (Tuesday); Shrewsbury 2,508 (Tuesday); and then Bristol City 3,805. (Saturday) so given that the latter is the highest; why are you not arguing that gates are rising? Of course you shouldn't as the sample is too small and biased towards midweek; so why criticise my vastly greater statistically significant sample? Now let's go back to our first Tuesday league fixture on 26 November (a fantastic 3-1 win over MK Dons when the U's were actually doing OK) and the crowd was roughly the same; a typical Tuesday 2,597. Our next Tuesday was the Blades 3,008 (boosted by more away fans) but had that been a Saturday we might have topped 5,000 given their traveling hoards. The following Saturday; 4,426 (great win over Coventry). Then back to a Tuesday (Rotherham), and its again the same typical 2,655.I would agree Tuesday gates are static, but not falling. There is inevitably greater variance on a Saturday, but typically always over 3,400. One cannot legitimately compare Tuesdays to weekends (example; too many commute to London and can't get back in time); The U's have also always given away loads of tickets to school kids and also army tickets too; so that is a red herring. If you want to undermine my data, please at least use credible data. Noah4x4
  • Score: -11

2:29pm Fri 4 Apr 14

We're not singing anymore!!! says...

Both you and I know that we can both come up with figures that will strenghten our arguement. Like:

The average Saturday attendence this season so far is 3953. While the average attendence for games on all other days (inlcluding bank holidays) is 3064. The average of the two is 3508.

It will be interesting come the end of the season what the final average figure is. One thing is for certain, it's not going up.
Both you and I know that we can both come up with figures that will strenghten our arguement. Like: The average Saturday attendence this season so far is 3953. While the average attendence for games on all other days (inlcluding bank holidays) is 3064. The average of the two is 3508. It will be interesting come the end of the season what the final average figure is. One thing is for certain, it's not going up. We're not singing anymore!!!
  • Score: 14

10:07pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Cuthbert says...

I'd love to hear the opinion of the 'army of senior accountants' as to how they rated Noah...

If this is the same old guy, who played Chumbawamba (Tubthumping) at the Victoria in North Station Road, a couple of weeks ago, proclaiming it as 'proper rock' I suggest they'd have laughed him out of his office. LOL!
I'd love to hear the opinion of the 'army of senior accountants' as to how they rated Noah... If this is the same old guy, who played Chumbawamba (Tubthumping) at the Victoria in North Station Road, a couple of weeks ago, proclaiming it as 'proper rock' I suggest they'd have laughed him out of his office. LOL! Cuthbert
  • Score: 17

10:18pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Cuthbert says...

Another thing about this 'Noah' chap - it must be the same guy, as he wears a Col U top, with 'Noah' on his back - he was very loud that evening (like his opinions counted for more than others) but his colleagues (mates?) looked embarrassed by his raised voice. He was the sort of guy who'd never have noticed though.
Another thing about this 'Noah' chap - it must be the same guy, as he wears a Col U top, with 'Noah' on his back - he was very loud that evening (like his opinions counted for more than others) but his colleagues (mates?) looked embarrassed by his raised voice. He was the sort of guy who'd never have noticed though. Cuthbert
  • Score: 20

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree