Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Chemical incident at Severalls Business Park...again
1:20pm Monday 9th July 2012 in Colchester
Firefighter Steve Foster speaks to crime reporter Adam Cornell about the possible causes of the chemical leak at Severalls Business Park.
- 2.50pm: Cordon lifted at the site but Essex House will be closed for two days, our reporter on scene says.
- 2.36pm: Some employees returning to the site.
- 2.27pm: Air conditioning put back on and being tested.
- 1.55pm: Essex County Council, who run Essex House, say the health and safety of their staff is "paramount". Taking measures to ensure minimal disruption to phone calls.
- 1.43pm: Firefighters searching Essex House in a bid to find the source.
- 1.38pm: Fire brigade say it is investigating reports boiler system was chemically cleaned after last incident. No definite cause found.
- 12.49pm: Firefighters prepare to enter the building.
- 12.18pm: Two further appliances have been sent to the scene along with a welfare unit.
- 11.32am: The building has been evacuated and everyone has been accounted for. Nine people are awaiting triage from the ambulance service. They are all receiving oxygen therapy from firefighters.
- 10.45am: Workers at Essex House report feeling unwell.
A BUSINESS site previously at the centre of a chemical leak drama has been evacuated again.
Hundreds of staff at Essex House, at Severalls Business Park, Colchester, were told to leave the building this morning.
Reports suggest the latest evacuation is down to another potential chemical leak.
Ten ambulance crews and seven fire crews are at the scene, including specialist officers and a hazardous area response team (HART).
A medical centre has been set up in Wyncolls Road.
Workers were treated at the scene by paramedics on Friday, June 29, after they were alerted to a "noxious smell".
Chemical incident in Colchester
Gazette has no responsibility or control over the content on external blogging sites, but you can contact us if you have a complaint.