Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Former title-winning Colchester boxer among those charged with fraud offences
BOXER Lee Purdy is one of six people have been charged in connection with an organised crime group targeting elderly people in north Essex.
Police raided homes across Colchester and Clacton back in June following seven month long investigation with Essex County Council Trading Standards and Adult Social Care.
Detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate have today charged six people with money laundering.
Almost 40 victims, aged 65-99, are thought to have been victims of scams in excess of £1 million.
The six people are:
- Barry Lilley, 63, unemployed of Frinton Road, Kirby Cross
- Lee Symes, 33 a builder, of Church Road, Elmstead
- Susan Lilley, 57, electricity board worker, from Ipswich Road, Holland-on-Sea
- Vanessa Clement, 54, cleaner, of Bromley Road, Ardleigh
- Lee Purdy, 26, a boxer of Greenstead Road, Colchester
- Derek Johnstone, 69, retired of Ipswich Road, Holland-on-Sea.
They have all been bailed to appear at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on September 10.
Seven other people have already been charged with conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation relating to the period 2009-2013.