Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Colchester hostel evacuated
5:27pm Friday 12th October 2012 in News
A YOUTH hostel was evacuated after a fire broke out on the first floor of the YMCA in Colchester.
Firefighters from Colchester were called out at about 2.10am today.
One flat was on fire and the whole floor was full of smoke.
Fire crews spent about 40 minutes extinguishing the flames.
A spokesman for the YMCA said: “Everyone is safe and well. Our evacuation procedures worked well and we would like to thank the firefighters for getting here so quickly.”