Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Electrical safety warning from fire brigade
7:00am Monday 24th September 2012 in News
HOUSEHOLDS are being urged to make sure their home is electrically safe as part of a national awareness week.
Essex Fire Brigade and the Electrical Safety Council have teamed up in a bid to reduce the number of “blunder fires” in the home.
A recent survey revealed more than three-quarters of people in Essex confessed to committing at least one simple safety blunder or misuse of an electrical appliance.
Almost half of people questioned said they blocked air vents by failing to clean behind fridges or freezers, while a third blocked vents on microwaves and one-fifth overloaded adapter sockets.
One in ten people said they left the tumble dryer running unattended or overnight, while the same number left electrical appliances unattended and were only alerted to problems by a burning smell.
To mark Electrical Fire Safety Week this week a Facebook game, Fire Blunders, has been launched to educate people about the hidden risks in their home.
People can also download the free Home Electrical Safety Check smartphone app, a simple tool to check homes for electrical danger.
For more information visit the Electrical Safety Council website.